SMP at touro college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oladapo Onasanya

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Age:30 yrs
Ugpa:2.5 (172) credit hours
DIY postbacc gpa: 3.41 88 (credit hours)
Mcat 493

I attend touros masters program and the gpa to matriculate into the touros DO program is 3.45. I found out how to study to late and having been exposed to anatomy at such a high level for the first time I got a C in anatomy( 7 credit course) and Bs in in the rest of my classes for my first semester . Assuming I finish strong and end my smp at touro with 3.38-3.4 what would be my options? What does a 3.3-3.4 look like to medical admissions. I thought I was ready considering my gap years and upward trend but I’ve stumbled once more. Here are some options I was thinking of

-Retake mcat and apply to same masters school as a regular applicant
-Do another special masters with linkage ( sounds crazy but I know a couple previous smp students from another institution at the one (touro ) I’m currently in

- retake mcat and go to Caribbean
- not my favorite decision but change to another healthcare profession
 
Hey,
I am sorry to hear of your situation. I would definitely advise you to take the MCAT again and score well. You have a fair shot of being accepted to a DO program if you can bring your MCAT up to a 506-507 and draft a killer personal statement with good EC's. Apply broadly to DO schools and take the Caribbean option off the board. This is not a viable option and may ruin you financially. If your serious about a career as a physician then study hard and take the test when you are ready.
 
Given your numbers, the best case outcome for cGPA is < 2.90 after completing your SMP. MCAT retake is a must. Provided you score very well on it this time ( > 512 ) and you have something else on your app that makes you stand out—I think you have a shot at an A to a DO school if your app gets through screening to > 20 of them. Be sure to call all schools and confirm the < 3.00 GPA won’t be screened out. Check out how others have done in years prior with < 3.00 cGPA to ground your expectations. Also note this is a tiny, tiny dataset.

Underdawgs threads:
2021-22 Underdawgs Thread [in progress]
2020-21 Underdawgs Thread
2019-20 Underdawgs Thread
2018-19 Underdawgs Thread
2017-18 Underdawgs Thread

I don’t know your story but being this close to the end goal, I wouldn’t be able to give up just yet. If it were me, I would set aside as much time as needed to hit the 90th+ percentile on the MCAT for the retake. My gut tells me that’s a make or break measurable for your app.

I don’t know anything about the Caribbean route apart from many others advising against it. I’d advise against it unless the conventional wizdom has changed with Step 1 turning P/F.