SMP Before Med School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJD519

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to start a new thread, but this is a tad specific:

STATS
cGPA: 2.97
Post-bacc GPA: 3.8 [At HES, 32 credits upper-level science, physics, and orgo]
MCAT: Find out in a couple weeks
EC: Very Competitive
LORS: Very Good

In seeing how I am uGPA damaged, I was thinking it would be absurd to apply this cycle; with it being so "late" and all. Therefore, I thought to apply next cycle as soon as applications open, but taking 2 more courses (8 credits) before then, and raising my cGPA to just over 3.0.

But the question is, should I apply to an SMP this cycle so that instead of just wasting another year after next year's MS applications, I would be in a program (hopefully) improving my stats? Or is this too dangerous and that I should at least try my luck at MS admission before resorting to such?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT is well above MD average of 31+, then you might have a shot at your state school and/or DO schools. IMHO it's definitely worth it to get up over 3.0.

SMP apps open starting around October 2011 for the 2012-2013 year. Compared with MD apps, these are easy & inexpensive. I think you'd be smart to get that ball rolling.

MD/DO apps open starting around June 2012 for the 2013-2014 year. If you're in a good SMP, you'll be expected to have a med school app going during your SMP year.

I don't think you're endangering your chances by taking on an SMP - you can only go up from here. Just make sure you're ready to work your fanny off.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
how do you indicate you are starting an SMP program when you apply to MD/DO schools during the summer??

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you indicate you are starting an SMP program when you apply to MD/DO schools during the summer??
On the app you mark it as a program in progress, future transcript. It's completely straightforward (just like you'd mark your senior year of undergrad if you applied at the end of your junior year).

Best of luck to you.

On the app you mark it as a program in progress, future transcript. It's completely straightforward (just like you'd mark your senior year of undergrad if you applied at the end of your junior year).

Best of luck to you.

Oh ok great thanks!

NJD, are you in the health careers program and will you be applying with the committee letter?

Which state are you from?

I'm almost in the same boat as you. 2.7 ugpa but got A- in gen chem 1 and phys 1 at HES. half way through the second semester of chem and phys and hoping to pull solid A's this semester. I am also thinking about having to do a SMP after the postbac.

I was inspired to come to HES by all of the good reviews on here and others sites and especially by a poster on SDN that went to HES with around a 2.7-2.8 gpa and pulled an amazing postbac gpa and was accepted to his state allopathic school without the committee letter from HES. He killed the MCAT though.

NJD, are you in the health careers program and will you be applying with the committee letter?

I'm almost in the same boat as you. 2.7 ugpa but got A- in gen chem 1 and phys 1 at HES. half way through the second semester of chem and phys and hoping to pull solid A's this semester. I am also thinking about having to do a SMP after the postbac.

I was inspired to come to HES by all of the good reviews on here and others sites and especially by a poster on SDN that went to HES with around a 2.7-2.8 gpa and pulled an amazing postbac gpa and was accepted to his state allopathic school without the committee letter from HES. He killed the MCAT though.

The problem is that sub 3.0 is automatically screened at many med schools.

I know for a fact that a sub 3.0 gpa is not automatically screened at my state school and i'd venture to say that it's not screened at many other state schools as well.

Where did you get this information? Is it from an authoritative source?

I know for a fact that a sub 3.0 gpa is not automatically screened at my state school and i'd venture to say that it's not screened at many other state schools as well.

Where did you get this information? Is it from an authoritative source?

I should have prefaced my post by stating "from what I've read on this forum". I do not know for certain. Most people are advised to achieve a 3.0 gpa before applying.

Just my .02$. Dr. Midlife probably knows best.

I asked the OP which state he's from because it matters, a lot.

My state school awards points based on a lot of different things. 1 point for a 12+ score on an MCAT section. 1 point for upward gpa trend. 1 point for 3.7+ ugpa/sgpa. research, birthplace, residency, etc. etc. etc. If you attain the minimum number of points required you get an interview. This is public information and although it only applies for my state school. I have seen several people with mdapps profiles that have been accepted sub 3.0 gpa. quite a few actually. the 3.0 automatic cutoff might apply to some schools but not most. just search mdapps. There are many schools that accept sub 3.0 GPAs. It's just a lot harder to get in. but you're not automatically screened.

I asked the OP which state he's from because it matters, a lot.

My state school awards points based on a lot of different things. 1 point for a 12+ score on an MCAT section. 1 point for upward gpa trend. 1 point for 3.7+ ugpa/sgpa. research, birthplace, residency, etc. etc. etc. If you attain the minimum number of points required you get an interview. This is public information and although it only applies for my state school. I have seen several people with mdapps profiles that have been accepted sub 3.0 gpa. quite a few actually. the 3.0 automatic cutoff might apply to some schools but not most. just search mdapps. There are many schools that accept sub 3.0 GPAs. It's just a lot harder to get in. but you're not automatically screened.

This is excellent information. Thank you for the type up. Would you mid PMing me with the state and where i should be looking in the future for this information.

Thanks!

This is excellent information. Thank you for the type up. Would you mid PMing me with the state and where i should be looking in the future for this information.

Thanks!

PMed. Didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread.

Hey smiley,

I did the post-bacc at HES informally because I had already taken Chem and Physics I. So I took the rest of my pre-reqs along with a bunch of other upper-level science courses. I had the option to get the committee letter, but decided to go with one from my undergrad as they knew me a lot better; hence a better letter. I finished with a 3.84 GPA at HES (10 courses).

I definitely 'enjoyed' my time at Harvard. Their courses are excellent and I met a lot of great people. I wasn't sure if this coursework was sufficient enough to mask my past academic transgressions so I am going to pony up and shell out the money for a SMP. I feel once, and of course if, I do well in a SMP then I believe there is no way medical schools can consider me a overly risky candidate :xf:.

I think it is important that you take the time to get both your cGPA and sGPA above a 3.0 to be safe. It is great that some schools do not have the 3.0 cut-off, but it would also be a shame if you were screened from a school that you might have received an interview from had they seen the rest of your application.

I am from Massachusetts. Are you as well? I would love the chat about some of the information you have come across with regards to medical school applications; as it seems you received some really good info about your state school. Let me know when you get a chance.