SMP for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lorbis

Schmember
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I usually lurk in the non-trad forum, but I am building bridges today! I am considering entering a SMP program in Fall 2010. I would like to hear some opinions on whether or not this might be a good move, since I realize they are somewhat of a risk.

STATS
Graduated May 2008
Biology/Chemistry Major/Minor
s/cGPA: 3.39
MCAT: To be taken January 2010 (averaging around 32 right now:xf:)
Good shadowing, volunteer, extracurrciulars
Work: CDC research fellow since June 2008

I want to run the MD/MPH track and have considered doing MPH before the MD. But, a joint program would provide me with the MPH for free, instead of accumulating another $50-$70K on top of MD debt. It seems to make more sense to do a one-year SMP, which can still be somewhat expensive, but could afford me with a chance to get into a good medical school with a joint MPH program.

Any thoughts are appreciated! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

MD/MPH isn't free.... you are paying to be there, and are paying for the 5th yr it typically takes to get one IIRC. I don't believe its 4 yrs and MD/MPH...as I know MD/MBA (5-6yrs) and MD/PhD (6-7yrs) are not "free"

Providing you get a good MCAT, you'd be competitive for some SMPs but it depends where you want to be and what kind of environment.

I usually lurk in the non-trad forum, but I am building bridges today! I am considering entering a SMP program in Fall 2010. I would like to hear some opinions on whether or not this might be a good move, since I realize they are somewhat of a risk.

STATS
Graduated May 2008
Biology/Chemistry Major/Minor
s/cGPA: 3.39
MCAT: To be taken January 2010 (averaging around 32 right now:xf:)
Good shadowing, volunteer, extracurrciulars
Work: CDC research fellow since June 2008

I want to run the MD/MPH track and have considered doing MPH before the MD. But, a joint program would provide me with the MPH for free, instead of accumulating another $50-$70K on top of MD debt. It seems to make more sense to do a one-year SMP, which can still be somewhat expensive, but could afford me with a chance to get into a good medical school with a joint MPH program.

Any thoughts are appreciated! :cool:

Your GPA is good enough for almost every SMP and MPH out there assuming you can crack a 30 on your MCAT. I think an SMP is a better fit for you than an MPH (an MPH really won't help you overcome a low GPA).

I see that you attended Oberlin for college. I believe that's in Ohio. Are you an Ohio state resident (or oringinally from Ohio)? If so, maybe you should look into the Toledo MSBS or the University of Cincinnati SMP. Those two have a pretty good reputation for sending their students into medical school. Both are pretty cheap and run around $20,000-$30,000 per year. You also get to take medical school courses alongside the students.

No, I am not an Ohio resident. I grew up in Syracuse, went to school in Ohio, and now have been living and working in Atlanta since I graduated. So I am a Georgia resident!

I do think SMP is starting to make a bit more sense for me, lookingglass. I have heard from the forums how reputable Cincinnati is. It seems a little more reasonable for myself monetarily.

I have been looking into Tulane's programs. I know that only the Pharm. program offers medical school classes, but the Cell and Molecular Biology program boasts a 90% medical school acceptance rate. Tuition is also around $20,000 for the year.

:confused:

I mean, is this for real? Why does the CMB program (which doesn't offer any medical school classes) have such a high acceptance rate? Is is the small class size? I would love to take acutal medical school classes, but if I can save $10,000 - $20,000 and eventually get into medical school, well then, win-win!