SMP for student with foreign coursework?

Started by deleted520847
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted520847

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did my degree in Australia and I am currently taking my pre-requisite courses at a cc with the intention of redoing most of the undergrad classes. Once I am done with my pre-reqs, do I have the option to apply for the SMP program as well with foreign coursework? I know the SMP program will give me a competitive edge when applying and I would like to try that route (finances allowing of course). Is it even feasible for a student with foreign coursework or would I still need a lot more undergrad credit through AMCAS to apply for medical school? Would the SMP help med schools forgive my shortage in US undergrad credit?
I do have permanent residency
 
I did my degree in Australia and I am currently taking my pre-requisite courses at a cc with the intention of redoing most of the undergrad classes. Once I am done with my pre-reqs, do I have the option to apply for the SMP program as well with foreign coursework? I know the SMP program will give me a competitive edge when applying and I would like to try that route (finances allowing of course). Is it even feasible for a student with foreign coursework or would I still need a lot more undergrad credit through AMCAS to apply for medical school? Would the SMP help med schools forgive my shortage in US undergrad credit?
I do have permanent residency

You can do an SMP. But to be in the best position to apply to a broad range of schools, I suggest taking at least 90 semester credit hours by spending 2+ years in residence at a U.S/Canadian school for a bachelors/masters or PhD degree.
The 90 semester hour credit requirement includes the sum of bachelors+masters+Phd coursework as calculated by AMCAS at most schools. Note that a few schools require a U.S bachelors degree (Mayo for e.g.)
There are schools that don't require 90 credit hours or 2+ years of residence...however you are narrowing your opportunities if you only apply to these schools.
If I were you, I would not take community college classes.