SMP for student with foreign coursework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted520847

I did my degree in Australia and I am currently taking my pre-requisite courses at a cc with the intention of redoing most of the undergrad classes. Once I am done with my pre-reqs, do I have the option to apply for the SMP program as well with foreign coursework? I know the SMP program will give me a competitive edge when applying and I would like to try that route (finances allowing of course). Is it even feasible for a student with foreign coursework or would I still need a lot more undergrad credit through AMCAS to apply for medical school? Would the SMP help med schools forgive my shortage in US undergrad credit?
I do have permanent residency

Members don't see this ad.

I did my degree in Australia and I am currently taking my pre-requisite courses at a cc with the intention of redoing most of the undergrad classes. Once I am done with my pre-reqs, do I have the option to apply for the SMP program as well with foreign coursework? I know the SMP program will give me a competitive edge when applying and I would like to try that route (finances allowing of course). Is it even feasible for a student with foreign coursework or would I still need a lot more undergrad credit through AMCAS to apply for medical school? Would the SMP help med schools forgive my shortage in US undergrad credit?
I do have permanent residency

You can do an SMP. But to be in the best position to apply to a broad range of schools, I suggest taking at least 90 semester credit hours by spending 2+ years in residence at a U.S/Canadian school for a bachelors/masters or PhD degree.
The 90 semester hour credit requirement includes the sum of bachelors+masters+Phd coursework as calculated by AMCAS at most schools. Note that a few schools require a U.S bachelors degree (Mayo for e.g.)
There are schools that don't require 90 credit hours or 2+ years of residence...however you are narrowing your opportunities if you only apply to these schools.
If I were you, I would not take community college classes.

Reactions: 1 user