SMP Georgetown for class of 2017-2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, Goblue,

This is the thread for GT's SMP which is different from GT GEMS. You might get more help if you post in a GEMS thread. Here's the most recent link I found: Georgetown GEMS 2017-2018

Good luck!

Hey all,

I am considering applying to GEMS for the fall of 2018. Could anyone in the program now give me some advice on what it is like? Also, a rough idea of my chances at getting in to Georgetown Medical School after?
I am nervous because Georgetown is my top medical school, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket with this program. I currently attend the University of Michigan, I have a 3.2 sGPA and a 3.3 cGPA. I double majored in chemistry and neuroscience and have a minor in social work. I have tons of extracurriculars (including medical experiences) and positive recommendation letters. I also am hispanic (family from came in from venezuela, although my closest relatives currently live in Puerto Rico) and very socio-economically disadvantaged (which adds to my nervousness about this program because I have to be conscious about costs and I want to make sure its worth it). I have a 510 on the MCAT as well and am a Michigan resident. Would this program be a good idea for me? Or should I just apply to the normal MD program? I really would love to go to Georgetown, but I have read such mixed reviews on this program that I am not sure if it is worth it.

Members don't see this ad.