SMP GPA Calculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiWolverines

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into applying to some SMP programs. As of now, I am considering Cinci, Loyola, EVMS, and Tulane. However, some of these programs have a min GPA req of a 3.0 and according to AMCAS my GPA is a 2.97 :mad: but my AACOMAS is a 3.1. Does anyone know what formula these programs use? I'm assuming the same one as AMCAS does, so am I out of luck? My MCAT is a 29Q by the way. Any help/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into applying to some SMP programs. As of now, I am considering Cinci, Loyola, EVMS, and Tulane. However, some of these programs have a min GPA req of a 3.0 and according to AMCAS my GPA is a 2.97 :mad: but my AACOMAS is a 3.1. Does anyone know what formula these programs use? I'm assuming the same one as AMCAS does, so am I out of luck? My MCAT is a 29Q by the way. Any help/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm about 95% sure that they calculate GPA the same way AMCAS would. I am not sure how DO programs such as the post-bacc at LECOM go about it. It wouldn't make sense for them to calculate it one way for med school admissions but differently for SMP purposes.

Bump.

I was also wondering how Smp's/ Post Bacc's calculate Gpa. Specifically, I want to know if they do the whole retake forgiveness thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
SMPs go into a grad line

True post-bacs of undergrad classes go into a 5-th yr line, but get factored in the undergrad GPA

DO and MD do different things when it comes to re-takes. MD doesn't treat it any diff than any other class in your GPA calc

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant to ask when you apply how they calculated your uGPA. For an example: DO schools have a retake forgiveness thing where they replace your earlier grade if you retook a class. Do SMPs or Post Baccs do this as well?

No set formula - whatever they want.

Assume the harshest standard, and thats AMCAS

Email the programs and ask them if they would consider an applicant .03 below, I imagine many of them would given your MCAT and depending on the rest of your application.