Jul 15, 2009
Status
Does anyone know if a degree in SMP (Special Master's Program) will look bad on my Vet application?

Has anyone successfully applied to Vet school with a SMP degree? If so, did the degree help, raise questions, or not help?

Thanks for your input.

gone2dogs

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
OK, I'll bite... what is an SMP? Could you explain that further? I have honestly never heard of it. If it is a Master's degree, I don't see how it would look bad...

You've piqued my curiosity though!

OP
N
Jul 15, 2009
Status
SMP = Special Masters Program. It is like post baccalaureate programs where you take classes to raise your GPA. The difference is, SMP are specifically geared towards people who have done all of their science pre-reqs, but has been out of school for several years. SMP is more popular among aspiring medical students, pharm, and DO. Hence, nobody is responding here - prevet forum, but thanks for biting :).

Because SMP is more popular in these applicants, I want to make sure that though it is a masters program, Vet adcoms wouldn't think I am interested in going to med school, or the likes. I just think it is a better program for me and will strengthen my science for Vet school while I get a degree :)

If you are interested in learning more... you should check the post bacc forum. Some of the people there are hard core and very organized.

gone2dogs

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
Interesting... it sounds sort of like a coursework only master's? I have the impression that doing well in a coursework masters can be a good thing for applications, so it seems like this wold be too, but hopefully someone who knows will help you out!

Caninerepro

Minnesota CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
I did a coursework Masters and got into a few vet schools on the first try. I as well am not sure what a SMP is, but I am very glad I did my one year coursework MS program, and am sure it will make my first year of vet school easier as well. My program was about half and half med vs vet wannabees, and the program was designed to be just that -- there was a human, veterinary or neurobiology concentration within it. So, I say do it. Mine was at Colorado State, and is called the MS-B or plan B masters. My diploma says MS Biomedical Science.

bunnity

Penn 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2009
Status
Veterinarian
There are also some SMP's designed specifically for aspiring vet students like Drexel's VMS master's program.

I don't think doing one would hurt your application... I think it would help if you're looking to raise your GPA. If you're continuing to get vet experience on the side I think it would be easy to explain that vet school was your intention all along (rather than med school).

flyhi

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Caninerepro - You basically completed an SMP. As it's been mentioned, the SMP's are one year and typically geared towards pre-meds if their GPA is a little lower and not as competitive as it should be. Many times you are in some of the same classes as first year med students. Adcom's use it as a measuring stick of how you will do in med/vet/dental/pharm school.

To the OP, I think SMP's are a great option for those who want to 'prove' themselves, take some upper level courses and get a non-thesis masters. I think the only way they look bad is if you don't do well.

Good Luck!

Last edited: