SMP help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMed20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from undergrad with an overall GPA ~3.4 and science GPA ~3.1 (health science major, biology minor). My pre health advisor suggested I consider a post bacc program to strengthen my transcript before apply to med school. I'm planning to apply both MD/DO. Right now I'm between Stony Brooks MS Biomedical Sciences or Hofstra's Post bacc certificate program. I'm leaning towards the MS at Stony Brook because financially it feels better to spend the money on a masters degree as oppose to repeating undergrad classes. Also, I have not taken the MCAT yet- was planning to take it Jan 2021.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar experience, specifically for the above programs because I haven't been able to find too much information. I want to make sure that if I am successful in the MS program that med schools will consider that even though my undergrad GPA is low.

Sorry if this is all over the place, but I'm appreciative of any suggestions/experiences anyone can share! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.