SMP Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamplaid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating at the end of next semester. I've completed all of my pre-reqs except for O-Chem II, which I'll wrap up next semester, and I am taking the MCAT in March as well. I'll be graduating with a 3.5c and a 3.4s, assuming I get 30+ on the MCAT, will SMP programs still process my application if I apply in January? Possibly holding it until my O-Chem II grade and MCAT scores come in?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating at the end of next semester. I've completed all of my pre-reqs except for O-Chem II, which I'll wrap up next semester, and I am taking the MCAT in March as well. I'll be graduating with a 3.5c and a 3.4s, assuming I get 30+ on the MCAT, will SMP programs still process my application if I apply in January? Possibly holding it until my O-Chem II grade and MCAT scores come in?
Unless you're in California, an SMP would be overkill for you. You have average stats - meaning a ton of med students get accepted with numbers lower than yours. What's keeping you from getting ready to apply MD in June?

Haha, well I am in California. I was planning on applying for Med School at the beginning of the cycle but I would like to have an SMP under my belt to improve my app strength in advance, as opposed to not being accepted during the upcoming cycle and having a whole year off before I do an SMP. Also, I'm interested in USC's Global Medicine program not only as a possible avenue for medical school but sheer interest in the program as well. Would it be a bad idea, for me at least, to be enrolled in an SMP during the app cycle, or would it aid me assuming I'm performing well?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't get into a good SMP without a good MCAT score in hand. So no, you can't apply in January.

You might have some luck in April when your score comes back.

I would not use "I need a score to get into an SMP" as a reason to take the MCAT without being ready to get your best possible MCAT score ever. Max out your MCAT independently of app dates. Take it once.

If you want a shot at UCs, you have to finish an SMP before you apply. They don't take SMP-in-progress like some other schools do.

Best of luck to you.