SMP/Med Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrishCogs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little bit confused about whether or not I should apply to MD or DO programs this cycle (for fall 2012) or if I should just apply to SMP programs and leave medical school apps for the following year. My GPA is a 3.1 with a 34O MCAT. I know my GPA is incredibly low, however, is it better to have already applied to medical schools before the SMP year so that you are reapplying as opposed to being a first time applicant? Also, my GPA has only been rising since my freshman year (a little too much partying) so I know that it could rise to about a 3.25 if I wait to apply for med schools after I graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a little bit confused about whether or not I should apply to MD or DO programs this cycle (for fall 2012) or if I should just apply to SMP programs and leave medical school apps for the following year. My GPA is a 3.1 with a 37Q MCAT. I know my GPA is incredibly low, however, is it better to have already applied to medical schools before the SMP year so that you are reapplying as opposed to being a first time applicant? Also, my GPA has only been rising since my freshman year (a little too much partying) so I know that it could rise to about a 3.25 if I wait to apply for med schools after I graduate.

a first time applicant is usually at an advantage to being a reapplicant

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
How about applying to different set of schools next time,is that considered reapplicant?

I don't think that they would necessarily know if you were a reapplicant unless it says so on your AMCAS application? I'm not sure on this though. However, I probably would not want to do this since I would want to apply to my certain "favorite" medical schools each time (for example ones that are in my state).

a first time applicant is usually at an advantage to being a reapplicant

How do you figure? Some schools actually look quite favorably upon reapplicants. They just want to see that you've taken steps to improve your application.

How do you figure? Some schools actually look quite favorably upon reapplicants. They just want to see that you've taken steps to improve your application.

I have gotten a mixed response from different people about this. Most people that seem "experienced" in the process seem to think it is better to apply and get rejected, and then reapply with a stronger application to show your dedication. However, with my low GPA I don't know if it's "ridiculous" to apply now, so that's why I'm considering waiting until the next cycle all together to apply and just applying to SMPs this round.

It is much better to be a first-time applicant.

and on the AMCAS app, when you check the box to apply to a certain school - it asks you a series of questions, one of which is if you are a re-app to that school

I wouldnt apply with a 3.1, but your awesome MCAT balances off a little - if you have a good upward trend, strong ECs, then maybe apply, but be super early. Otherwise, consider an SMP

I had very close to your exact same stats, applied early to >30 schools, and got one out of state interview but no acceptances.

So yeah it's possible to get in with those stats, but I'd say the ability of your MCAT to compensate for your GPA is dependent on EVERYTHING else in your application being acceptable. If you have any weaknesses elsewhere (low clinical experience or shadowing, questionable LORs) I would wait to apply with the 3.25 and also shore up those other aspects.