SMP or Americorps?

Started by patsfan83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

patsfan83

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am going to be graduating in Dec 2011 with a b.s. in biochemistry. I have a 3.6 cgpa and a 3.5 sgpa. I'll be taking the MCAT in January and applying to schools in June. So I'll obviously have at least a year off and have been trying to decide if I should do AmeriCorps or apply to SMP programs. I would really like some time off from school but also realize I'm not a really stand-out student ... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks 🙂
 
I don't think your GPA is low enough to warrant an SMP. A few courses couldn't hurt if you had the inclination but you could readily land a few acceptances with your current GPA and a good (31+) MCAT score, assuming all other aspects of your application are in order.
 
Dude, AmeriCorps will make you a stand-out student. SMP won't. IMHO. Also, you're going to be in school for the next 4 years of your life, take a break!!

(I am biased, though, as I am taking a gap year to do service. 3.44cgpa, 3.25sgpa.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i will add that if you do decide to do americorps you can take classes at the same time (at least in my program you could). so if you had a real bad class you wanted to retake it would be possible.
 
i think doing americorps would help you more than SMP, because a 3.5/3.6 GPA won't hold you back too much and AmeriCorps could give the edge you need to stand out from the crowd
 
I don't know, if somebody's personality doesn't vibe with AmeriCorps they're gonna be in for a miserable year.

On the other hand, SMP's, although expensive, fits in with the academic environment pre-meds are already used to. Plus, you can always fit other EC's in while doing the SMP.
 
Hello! I am going to be graduating in Dec 2011 with a b.s. in biochemistry. I have a 3.6 cgpa and a 3.5 sgpa. I'll be taking the MCAT in January and applying to schools in June. So I'll obviously have at least a year off and have been trying to decide if I should do AmeriCorps or apply to SMP programs. I would really like some time off from school but also realize I'm not a really stand-out student ... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks 🙂

Honestly, I think we both know that neither of these activities are going to push your application over the edge. You need to devote 100% of your time to the MCAT. I would NOT get myself stuck in a stupid masters program. Go study for that test and if you really want to get something out of it, apply for Americorps. But REALLY STUDY FOR THE MCAT
 
Hello! I am going to be graduating in Dec 2011 with a b.s. in biochemistry. I have a 3.6 cgpa and a 3.5 sgpa. I'll be taking the MCAT in January and applying to schools in June. So I'll obviously have at least a year off and have been trying to decide if I should do AmeriCorps or apply to SMP programs. I would really like some time off from school but also realize I'm not a really stand-out student ... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks 🙂

my GPA is better then yours and i've opted to do an SMP to prevent possibly taking 2 years off, and I love it! Some are a bit costly, but if you don't have an absurd amount of undergrad debt who cares! If you do an SMP, do with with a true linkage. Plus interviewee's love hearing that your honoring med school exams and doing well (assuming your competent).

I at one time considered Americorps, but don't expect anything glamorous... I was disappointed in the selection (was looking for something more like malibu or coastal florida).
 
Last edited:
Hello! I am going to be graduating in Dec 2011 with a b.s. in biochemistry. I have a 3.6 cgpa and a 3.5 sgpa. I'll be taking the MCAT in January and applying to schools in June. So I'll obviously have at least a year off and have been trying to decide if I should do AmeriCorps or apply to SMP programs. I would really like some time off from school but also realize I'm not a really stand-out student ... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks 🙂

Americorps = (poorly) paid job
SMP = tons of debt

If I were you, I'd do Americorps because taking time off will help you grow as a phsyician and make you a better med student. Besides, your gpa is not horrible, and you will not know if you will need to do an SMP until you get your MCAT scores. Besides, the good SMPs (i.e. the ones worth your money) start in the fall, not the spring. Good luck :luck:
 
Has anyone done AmeriCorps that would be able to give me further insight?

yes, i'm in my second year doing americorps.

like someone mentioned its definitely no glam job. AmeriCorps is great because there is such a broad option to pursue whatever area you are interested in! You can do something in the health field, emergency prep, teaching, nature stuff, etc etc etc. It's also focused on alleviating poverty, so you get lots of exposure to low-income underserved populations.

its not a high paid job, i have plenty of friends who are americorps who are on food stamps. that being said, you can definitely make it work (i do by living at home...)

I will also add, that as a re-app (take 2 years between apps) americorps is the "biggest" change (aside from learning more about "how to apply") i have made in my application and this application cycle has been amazingly successful.


if you want me to tell you more feel free to PM me!
 
yes, i'm in my second year doing americorps.

like someone mentioned its definitely no glam job. AmeriCorps is great because there is such a broad option to pursue whatever area you are interested in! You can do something in the health field, emergency prep, teaching, nature stuff, etc etc etc. It's also focused on alleviating poverty, so you get lots of exposure to low-income underserved populations.

its not a high paid job, i have plenty of friends who are americorps who are on food stamps. that being said, you can definitely make it work (i do by living at home...)

I will also add, that as a re-app (take 2 years between apps) americorps is the "biggest" change (aside from learning more about "how to apply") i have made in my application and this application cycle has been amazingly successful.


if you want me to tell you more feel free to PM me!

👍

Start exploring the americorps.com website looking for some ideas of what you could do with AmeriCorps. Keep in mind that openings that are available right now probably start in the next month or two - most of the world does not work like med school admissions where everything is submitted more than a year before it starts, lol.

As the above poster noted, AmeriCorps varies so much based on what your service is. Disaster relief looks nothing like College Access Outreach, which looks nothing like City Year. Which is why I suggest you looking into positions you might be interested in.

I applied for a few AmeriCorps positions and got offered two totally different positions (1 VISTA, 1 AmeriCorps State) and I would really recommend the program. Feel free to PM me with any questions
🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, I think the impact that and SMP will have on your application will not be as significant as an AmeriCorps position. A 3.6 is hard to move, especially without grade replacement.

Also, look at the schools you are most interested in applying to - is service to the underserved/community service/etc in their mission statement? It is for many schools and if this is the case AmeriCorps will definitely make you stand out at those schools.
 
Also, I think the impact that and SMP will have on your application will not be as significant as an AmeriCorps position. A 3.6 is hard to move, especially without grade replacement.

Also, look at the schools you are most interested in applying to - is service to the underserved/community service/etc in their mission statement? It is for many schools and if this is the case AmeriCorps will definitely make you stand out at those schools.

An SMP will get you into the school which the SMP is at (assuming you do ok ->well).