SMP or Apply? 3.4 cGPA 3.2 sGPA 515 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gfernandez002

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating whether I should apply to an SMP now (Temple, BU, GT, Tufts, Cinn, Drexel) or apply to MD schools next cycle. My extracurriculars aren't that great (about 100 hours volunteering at the hospital) and about 200 hours shadowing an OBGYN).

Since I got my AA while in highschool I have about 180 credits so taking more undergrad classes won't make too much of a difference in my GPA.

I am also a florida resident and a URM.

I would really like to aim at getting into an MD school but if I am not successful I will definitely consider applying DO. I am also not opposed to retaking my MCAT.

I know that I am pretty borderline so would it be worth it to go through an SMP or should I just go ahead and apply next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am debating whether I should apply to an SMP now (Temple, BU, GT, Tufts, Cinn, Drexel) or apply to MD schools next cycle. My extracurriculars aren't that great (about 100 hours volunteering at the hospital) and about 200 hours shadowing an OBGYN).

Since I got my AA while in highschool I have about 180 credits so taking more undergrad classes won't make too much of a difference in my GPA.

I am also a florida resident and a URM.

I would really like to aim at getting into an MD school but if I am not successful I will definitely consider applying DO. I am also not opposed to retaking my MCAT.

I know that I am pretty borderline so would it be worth it to go through an SMP or should I just go ahead and apply next cycle?

You definitely don't need to retake your MCAT unless it expires. I'd apply broadly (MD and DO) to state schools and low tiers next cycle if I were in your situation. Aceing an SMP during the gap year could maybe help get into top schools, but I'd probably just focus on getting more clinical experience.