SMP or other focus before 3rd reapplication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tugman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on 2 waitlists (one MD and one DO), but I am planning for a third application cycle if these waitlists do not work out. My first application cycle yielded two MD interviews and one waitlist that ended in rejection. My school list was around 20 schools in total, mostly in the Southeast.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.23
BCPM GPA: 3.11
MCAT: 511 (128/130/124/129)
ORM
3400 hours as a medical assistant in a nephrology office
1000 hours working as a laboratory assistant in an infectious disease testing lab
1 abstract poster presentation at American Society of Nephrology's kidney week
50 hours shadowing
40 hours volunteering in a hospital in the progressive care unit
Other extracirriculars such as Orientation Leader, musician, club sports

I don’t feel comfortable applying a third consecutive year, so the current plan is to apply during the 2021-2022 cycle.

My MCAT was in May 2018 so I will need to retake. Obviously my GPA is a weak point so I am wondering if an SMP would be a good option for me. 1 year SMP followed immediately by an MCAT retake to apply next year.

Is this a good plan or should I be focusing my time elsewhere?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you have a massive rising GPA trend? What do you htink was your hook for the MD school?

With those GPAs, I can't image you having any better luck in a second cycle for MD. You're "meh" for DO and would be rejected at my school. I suggest the SMP.

Did you have a massive rising GPA trend? What do you htink was your hook for the MD school?

With those GPAs, I can't image you having any better luck in a second cycle for MD. You're "meh" for DO and would be rejected at my school. I suggest the SMP.
Thank you for the reply and the honesty.

No GPA rise, in fact I had a large drop junior year.

My MD interviews were at my state school, a private MD school in the state, and Wake Forest. My thought was my clinical experience coupled with my decent MCAT and extracurriculars were what landed me the interviews.

I will be applying for SMP's this fall and trying again in 2 years time. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user