dkgrubby

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
So I am deciding on whether I wanna do post bac or smp route. My gpa is low 3.0-3.1 and 2.8 science gpa I just graduated from a good undergrad and majored in neuroscience. I know smp route is the way to go if I do well, but I am living at home and theres a decent college near me where I can take post bac classes. First two years of college I was not doing well, pretty much having a good time and just trying to get by. My junior and senior year were me basically trying to improve my gpa which resulted in me getting much better grades than I did my first two years. I have relatives who are dentists in the area and will let me shadow in their office and possibly try to get a dental lab kind of job to boost my recs. I have about 180 worth of credit so my gpa can still budge if I do well in post bac for one year. I will be living at home and drive to school since my sister is attending the school as well. Work hard for one year try to get all As and can come home and don't have to pay for food lol.
However smp route would be nice since it would take one year and I can get a masters degree on top of it. But I feel like its my last option, if I don't do well then my chances in dental school is over don't want to play my trump card early and not achieve high marks since I still gotta improve my studying habits and such. Another con would be that I would have to move out of my area and get an apartment and buy food and such. I just need one school to like me. I haven't taken the dat yet and plan on taking it prob after post bac or smp when I refine my studying skills and such. Based on the pros and cons what do you guys think would be the best option for me financially and strategically to get into dental school? Also anyways for me to improve my chances such as volunteering and such for dental school? I am thinking about trying to get a dental lab tech job on top with shadowing and such in my relatives office.

moler

5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2011
Status
I may be wrong, but my understanding was that most bio majors opt for SMP's since a post-bacc would mean repeating a lot of pre-req's. SMP's are high-risk high-reward, but if you do well it shows schools that you are able to handle grad-level courses.