SMP or Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tmntdonjuan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a Psychology major who's wondering which route he should take. I have a 2.87 cumulative GPA. I've already taken the lower-division requirements (Chem, OChem, Physics, Bio) but didn't do too well in them (Mostly C's and some B's). I've taken only 2 upper division science courses (Intro to Biochem-B, and Intro to Genetics-B+) along with 2 Neuroscience courses (both B's). Should I apply for a post-bacc since I'm a non-science major or should I try for a SMP since I've already had some science course-work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
 
In my view it's premature to talk about a postbac or SMP prior to finishing your first go at undergrad. If you can fix things before you graduate, I think that's quite preferable: easier to explain and probably cheaper. In particular, I think a reasonable strategy for you to turn things around is to change your major (to any hard science), retake some classes, take a lot of upper div science, thus add a 5th or 6th year, and show a sharp upward trend after drawing this line in the sand.

But to answer your questions:

1. SMP programs require that you take the MCAT, and score in the mid-20's. If your grades were weak in the basic sciences, such a score might be out of your current reach. Also, EVMS is the only SMP I know of that takes a sub-3.0 GPA. An SMP would likely be the fastest route to med school for you, but quite frankly, it's the most likely route to failure as well. I mean no disrespect; SMP students are in "do or die" mode and you have to be top of the heap to benefit from an SMP.

2. You'll have a hard time finding a structured postbac program that admits people who've already taken the prereqs.

Hope this helps...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my view it's premature to talk about a postbac or SMP prior to finishing your first go at undergrad. If you can fix things before you graduate, I think that's quite preferable: easier to explain and probably cheaper. In particular, I think a reasonable strategy for you to turn things around is to change your major (to any hard science), retake some classes, take a lot of upper div science, thus add a 5th or 6th year, and show a sharp upward trend after drawing this line in the sand.

But to answer your questions:

1. SMP programs require that you take the MCAT, and score in the mid-20's. If your grades were weak in the basic sciences, such a score might be out of your current reach. Also, EVMS is the only SMP I know of that takes a sub-3.0 GPA. An SMP would likely be the fastest route to med school for you, but quite frankly, it's the most likely route to failure as well. I mean no disrespect; SMP students are in "do or die" mode and you have to be top of the heap to benefit from an SMP.

2. You'll have a hard time finding a structured postbac program that admits people who've already taken the prereqs.

Hope this helps...

Unfortunately I am now going on 5th year student status. I've already talked to my counselor and there's no way I can even add on a minor. I'm being forced to graduate in Winter Quarter (which is when I finish my last required class). In order to take upper division classes, Post-Baccalaureate looks like my only route. I'd really like to enroll in a formal program, mainly because it seems open-university pays a lot and has the lowest priority in enrollment. Are there any formal programs in California, preferably Southern, that focus on upper-division courses? Thanks in advance.
 
enroll at a cal state for a second bachelors, you will not get lowest priority. take upper divisions.
 
enroll at a cal state for a second bachelors, you will not get lowest priority. take upper divisions.

I agree. I did this, but not in CA.

But first, I think you may wish to consider doing a Peace Corps or Americorps gig, or something similar that gets you out of school for a while. You know, find out if you actually LIKE helping people. 🙂

Best of luck to you.