SMP or Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmntdonjuan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Psychology major who's wondering which route he should take. I have a 2.87 cumulative GPA. I've already taken the lower-division requirements (Chem, OChem, Physics, Bio) but didn't do too well in them (Mostly C's and some B's). I've taken only 2 upper division science courses (Intro to Biochem-B, and Intro to Genetics-B+) along with 2 Neuroscience courses (both B's). Should I apply for a post-bacc since I'm a non-science major or should I try for a SMP since I've already had some science course-work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In my view it's premature to talk about a postbac or SMP prior to finishing your first go at undergrad. If you can fix things before you graduate, I think that's quite preferable: easier to explain and probably cheaper. In particular, I think a reasonable strategy for you to turn things around is to change your major (to any hard science), retake some classes, take a lot of upper div science, thus add a 5th or 6th year, and show a sharp upward trend after drawing this line in the sand.

But to answer your questions:

1. SMP programs require that you take the MCAT, and score in the mid-20's. If your grades were weak in the basic sciences, such a score might be out of your current reach. Also, EVMS is the only SMP I know of that takes a sub-3.0 GPA. An SMP would likely be the fastest route to med school for you, but quite frankly, it's the most likely route to failure as well. I mean no disrespect; SMP students are in "do or die" mode and you have to be top of the heap to benefit from an SMP.

2. You'll have a hard time finding a structured postbac program that admits people who've already taken the prereqs.

Hope this helps...

Also, EVMS is the only SMP I know of that takes a sub-3.0 GPA. QUOTE]
Though most SMPs suggest a 3.0 GPA, only Loyola acually requires it, and even that requirement can be waived . With a high enough MCAT you can get into any other SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my view it's premature to talk about a postbac or SMP prior to finishing your first go at undergrad. If you can fix things before you graduate, I think that's quite preferable: easier to explain and probably cheaper. In particular, I think a reasonable strategy for you to turn things around is to change your major (to any hard science), retake some classes, take a lot of upper div science, thus add a 5th or 6th year, and show a sharp upward trend after drawing this line in the sand.

But to answer your questions:

1. SMP programs require that you take the MCAT, and score in the mid-20's. If your grades were weak in the basic sciences, such a score might be out of your current reach. Also, EVMS is the only SMP I know of that takes a sub-3.0 GPA. An SMP would likely be the fastest route to med school for you, but quite frankly, it's the most likely route to failure as well. I mean no disrespect; SMP students are in "do or die" mode and you have to be top of the heap to benefit from an SMP.

2. You'll have a hard time finding a structured postbac program that admits people who've already taken the prereqs.

Hope this helps...

Unfortunately I am now going on 5th year student status. I've already talked to my counselor and there's no way I can even add on a minor. I'm being forced to graduate in Winter Quarter (which is when I finish my last required class). In order to take upper division classes, Post-Baccalaureate looks like my only route. I'd really like to enroll in a formal program, mainly because it seems open-university pays a lot and has the lowest priority in enrollment. Are there any formal programs in California, preferably Southern, that focus on upper-division courses? Thanks in advance.

enroll at a cal state for a second bachelors, you will not get lowest priority. take upper divisions.

enroll at a cal state for a second bachelors, you will not get lowest priority. take upper divisions.

I agree. I did this, but not in CA.

But first, I think you may wish to consider doing a Peace Corps or Americorps gig, or something similar that gets you out of school for a while. You know, find out if you actually LIKE helping people. :)

Best of luck to you.