SMP or Random post bacc classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabeel76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am about to graduate with a 3.3 GPA from UVA and am trying to decide if I should just start randomly taking upper level post bacc science courses to raise my gpa or try and enroll in an SMP program? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Look around at differ SMP programs to see if there are any that can offer you help. I am not sure if there are programs where you can take UG classes instead of grad classes.
Drexel has a program (Med Sci Prep) that allows you to take 4 grad level bio classes as well as UG Chem and physics to help you prep for the MCAT. (www.drexel.edu). This is the program I really want to do! Also search post-bac programs at aamc.org.

If you live close to a state school, than it might be more cost effective to take "random" classes.
Good luck :luck:

Coffee610,

Thanks for the response.

About UVA it depends on if you are coming to the new postbac program they just established or if you are going to be enrolling as a graduate student (I don't believe you will be allowed to enroll in undergrad courses if you have already obtained a 4 year degree). If you are considering the postbacc program - than I can't really say, those classes are taught in the school of Cont. and Professional Studies and you will not be allowed to enroll in the same courses as the undergrads for your science requirements. It's a new program and I have not really heard much about it so I am sorry that I can't be of more help. If you do decide to come then shoot me an email with a list of professors and if they are the same professors that teach in the college I'll give you the rundown.

In my opinion, whether you should come or not depends on how strong your undergrad GPA is? Do you just need to finish the med school science prereqs? If so than I would recommend a program like Bren Marrs - they have numerous linkages to some great medical schools and are highly respected, but as far as linkages are concerned I have yet to see a school with better linkages then Bren Marr - it's rediculous, I kind of wished I hadn't taken the prereqs just so that I could apply there.