SMP? Post Bacc? What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I will be applying to medical school this cycle but I want to continue school until I matriculate and I need some advice on what I should do.

My numbers:
cGPA- 2.75
BCPM- ~2.6
MCAT- 24O (after test, I enrolled in Kaplan and will bring that score up..hopefully)

STRONG extra curriculars, worked full-time first 2 years of college and continue to work as a private tutor now, good LORs, astronomy and virology research under my belt.

I graduate in May and was wondering if I should do a SMP at TCOM or do a post-bacc somewhere else...Do my numbers indicate I should do an SMP? What should I do? I anticipate my GPA to come up to around a 2.9 by graduation. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I will be applying to medical school this cycle but I want to continue school until I matriculate and I need some advice on what I should do.

My numbers:
cGPA- 2.75
BCPM- ~2.6
MCAT- 24O (after test, I enrolled in Kaplan and will bring that score up..hopefully)

STRONG extra curriculars, worked full-time first 2 years of college and continue to work as a private tutor now, good LORs, astronomy and virology research under my belt.

I graduate in May and was wondering if I should do a SMP at TCOM or do a post-bacc somewhere else...Do my numbers indicate I should do an SMP? What should I do? I anticipate my GPA to come up to around a 2.9 by graduation. Advice?

i suggest the SMP. i suggest a drastically improved MCAT.

i understand that working full-time may have been a factor in your low grades, but chances are terribly slim for anyone with sub 3.0. and no offense, but your MCAT is quite unattractive too.

the postbacc is usually for students who have not done the science prereq's, so in your case (it sounds like you've taken them already) the SMP would provide more bang for the buck. the purpose with the SMP is not really to bring UP your cumulative grades, but to just prove that you are capable of excelling by having a year (usually) of intense coursework.

i also suggest not rushing the process. maybe take an additional year off and entertain some other interests. what are your ECs?

I don't know a lot about this process, but if I were you, I'd improve what I could and do some more ECs and apply the next cycle.