SMP/Post bacc..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faye74

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, hoping to get some feedback.

GPA 2.97
sGPA lower
Graduating this May
I applied to an SMP and a Biomedical science master. I'm taking the GRE at the end of this week.
No MCAT yet.
300+ volunteer hours
~60 shadowing hours
Research assistant at a Psychology lab

I'm scared I won't get into the programs I applied to. I couldn't apply to more SMPs because most of them are extremely expensive.

In the case I don't get in, what is my best option? Ive done a lot of research but I'm still confused on what I should do. I would rather not be out of school.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get into any meaningful programs, insofar as meaningful means "will help you get into medical school." You need additional undergraduate coursework to raise your GPAs as high above 3.0 as possible before you can even think about doing an SMP.

+1 to taking more undergrad courses to boost your GPA above 3.0

If you don't get into the programs, you should try to either stay another year at your school and take more courses to boost that GPA as a full or part time student, or another option would be to look at reputable universities around your home and see if they have extension programs that allow you to take their undergrad courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition, when you take those courses, don't aim to just get the minimum grade to push yourself above 3.0... you need to prove to yourself (and SMP adcoms) that you are capable of getting good grades because SMP courses will be much harder.

Thank you both.

When you say take additional undergraduate courses, you mean as a non degree seeking student? I am already graduating this semester

No point in applying to the good SMPs without an MCAT. Too much at stake, too much competition, and you're past some deadlines already.

No point in applying to the good SMPs with a sub-3.0.

No point in taking the MCAT with a way-below-3.0 science GPA.

Consider postponing graduation and adding a minor or second major. Consider doing a second bachelors. Consider programs like Berkeley Extension or Harvard Extension. Consider spending many, many hours reading posts in this forum from those who have been in your shoes and are now in med school.

Also:
Cost of applying to several SMPs: low 4 digits
Cost of applying to med school: low 5 digits
Cost of attending SMP: mid-5 digits
Cost of attending med school: low-to-mid 6 digits

"I can't afford it" is sabotaging your chances before you start. Investigate your options before you say you can't do it.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user