SMP program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutierrez001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any SMP or MS/MA programs that accept students with GPA below a 3.0? Has anyone got into the bigger program such as, BU or Drexel..etc. ? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

for "easy" smps to get into in terms of stats:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=493330

and yes there have been people who have successfully gotten into smps and medical schools with a sub 3.0 gpa. it's hard to give you more advice w/o more information like mcat score, extracirriculars, etc.

for "easy" smps to get into in terms of stats:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=493330

and yes there have been people who have successfully gotten into smps and medical schools with a sub 3.0 gpa. it's hard to give you more advice w/o more information like mcat score, extracirriculars, etc.

Thanks for the link.. I havent taken the MCAT yet, I signed up for May 31. My UG gpa isnt too hot, but i do have ok extracirrcular. I am EMT-b cert. and worked as a ER tech for three years during college and as a Nurse tech in Cat scan for 1 &1/2 year. Currently I am working as a Clinical Research Assistance doing research on new drugs. I am very interested in BU program but nervous that my GPA wont cut it. I just dont know what step to take next.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link.. I havent taken the MCAT yet, I signed up for May 31. My UG gpa isnt too hot, but i do have ok extracirrcular. I am EMT-b cert. and worked as a ER tech for three years during college and as a Nurse tech in Cat scan for 1 &1/2 year. Currently I am working as a Clinical Research Assistance doing research on new drugs. I am very interested in BU program but nervous that my GPA wont cut it. I just dont know what step to take next.

Have you thought about taking some undergrad classes to bump up your gpa? Just getting at or above a 3.0 crosses some sort of magic barrier that might open up new doors for you. You seem to have a lot of good clinical experience and research, concentrate on that MCAT and crush it at all costs. Also, given your situation you might want to look into smp programs that have some sort of linkage to a school where you have a high probability of being accepted if you do really well during ur smp.

By the way, how do you become a Clinical Research Assistant? Does it require any license?

Have you thought about taking some undergrad classes to bump up your gpa? Just getting at or above a 3.0 crosses some sort of magic barrier that might open up new doors for you. You seem to have a lot of good clinical experience and research, concentrate on that MCAT and crush it at all costs. Also, given your situation you might want to look into smp programs that have some sort of linkage to a school where you have a high probability of being accepted if you do really well during ur smp.

By the way, how do you become a Clinical Research Assistant? Does it require any license?

I was thinking about taking some classes at the local college, but its just hard because they dont offer to many classes at night. Does anyone know if any of the SMP or MA/MS program have admissions for the Spring??

I got the job because I had a BS and had medical experince, we run clinical trails. PM if you want some more info.

most if not all smp-type programs do not start in spring b/c they follow the medical school's cirriculum. i'm sure there may be an exception so i'll let someone else chime in.

you might want to sit the next cycle out. a sub-3.0 gpa will be the major thing keeping you from getting any interview invites. take the mcat and enroll in an informal DIY post-bacc program at your local college. can cut back hours at your job?

take your mcat. retake if less than 32.

after raising your GPA to near 3.0, apply to SMPs for the year you'll be applying to med schools (i.e. the cycle after next).

good luck.

most if not all smp-type programs do not start in spring b/c they follow the medical school's cirriculum. i'm sure there may be an exception so i'll let someone else chime in.

you might want to sit the next cycle out. a sub-3.0 gpa will be the major thing keeping you from getting any interview invites. take the mcat and enroll in an informal DIY post-bacc program at your local college. can cut back hours at your job?

take your mcat. retake if less than 32.

after raising your GPA to near 3.0, apply to SMPs for the year you'll be applying to med schools (i.e. the cycle after next).

good luck.

Thanks, I think Im going to take this advise on a post-bacc program. The only thing I confused is of when i still apply to the SMPs? Should I apply next cycle(which is sometime later this year) and apply to medical school next summer? ( did that make sense)

you would apply this winter for SMPs that start august 09. you would also apply to med schools summer 2009. now til summer 2009, you would take your post-bacc classes.

You are a URM, right? There are special SMPs for URMs with more secure linkages than other SMPs. Look into them.

perrotfish, thanks for the hope.

I will start looking more into URM SMP programs? But I was wondering what exactly is consider a URM? Im hispanic.

Im hispanic.
You need to be more specific, I think. I´m pretty sure some hispanics are and some aren´t.

BTW if you signed up for the MCAT on May 31 you should at least have a strong idea what you´re gonna get by now. What are you getting on the practice tests?

Hey Parrotfish-

You were in the ACP program, weren't you? Do you know how many people applied last year? Applying this year and I'm worried because, with the huge glut of med school applicants this year, there's sure to be a lot of wait-listed people wanting into this program and its less-than-20 spots. Do you know, from your experience, anything to emphasize or push that could help me get in?

Also, I'm looking into the availability of housing at Deming, and they, umm, don't seem to like talking to people. I'm worried because I really don't want to sign a $500 signing contract before I know I'm in (around May 9-10), but at the same time we need to be in by June 1! Is Deming usually able to take care of all the ACP kids that want in?

Hey Parrotfish-

You were in the ACP program, weren't you? Do you know how many people applied last year? Applying this year and I'm worried because, with the huge glut of med school applicants this year, there's sure to be a lot of wait-listed people wanting into this program and its less-than-20 spots. Do you know, from your experience, anything to emphasize or push that could help me get in?

Also, I'm looking into the availability of housing at Deming, and they, umm, don't seem to like talking to people. I'm worried because I really don't want to sign a $500 signing contract before I know I'm in (around May 9-10), but at the same time we need to be in by June 1! Is Deming usually able to take care of all the ACP kids that want in?

I applied too, hope we get in!

tulane acp is an SMP which i believe has the highest linkage. you must have waitlisted in med school to be eligible to apply.