MD SMP the best way to go? help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyindy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really frustrated at this point. I'm a senior looking to apply this may (gap year) and it seems I might not even have a shot at MD this cycle. The only 2 C's I've ever gotten were one in a film genre class and one in physics lab 1 (got A the next semester). Besides that my transcript is FILLED with B's rendering my GPA up until this point a 3.44. Every semester I somehow managed to screw myself over by either taking too many credits (soph year) or upper division Bio classes that I foolishly took because of my curiosity and then having it backfire on me in the end.

current sGPA is 3.33

If I do decent on the MCAT (33-35) is SMP the best route for me at this point for MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.

It may be, if your focus is MD. If you have a high MCAT (the range you're listing), then DO will happily give you interviews, possibly some MD schools too if you meet their mission with your ECs. Just remember that even though you're applying in May, schools won't see your SMP grades until November at the earliest.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be, if your focus is MD. If you have a high MCAT (the range you're listing), then DO will happily give you interviews, possibly some MD schools too if you meet their mission with your ECs. Just remember that even though you're applying in May, schools won't see your SMP grades until November at the earliest.

Yea this is what I'm worried about. The whole point of doing an SMP is to show you can handle/excel in med school but if they don't see my grades until then how does it all work out? I'm really confused here:bang:

I am really frustrated at this point. I'm a senior looking to apply this may (gap year) and it seems I might not even have a shot at MD this cycle. The only 2 C's I've ever gotten were one in a film genre class and one in physics lab 1 (got A the next semester). Besides that my transcript is FILLED with B's rendering my GPA up until this point a 3.44. Every semester I somehow managed to screw myself over by either taking too many credits (soph year) or upper division Bio classes that I foolishly took because of my curiosity and then having it backfire on me in the end.

current sGPA is 3.33

If I do decent on the MCAT (33-35) is SMP the best route for me at this point for MD schools?
Have you earned any As in upper-level Bo classes or Biochem?

Then I think you have a ways to go before you can offer yourself as a viable candidate to US MD schools who has demonstrated consistent excellent grades in med school-like coursework. You won't be ready to apply next June.

You can start your GPA redemption by taking relevant coursework next semester in undergrad and getting straight As. If you can't do that, then an SMP would be a waste of your money. Prove to yourself that you are capable of delivering the goods, as, if you are unable to earn a 3.7+ during a year of (very expensive) SMP classes where you compete with med students, then the effort will have been to no purpose, if MD is your primary goal.

Then I think you have a ways to go before you can offer yourself as a viable candidate to US MD schools who has demonstrated consistent excellent grades in med school-like coursework. You won't be ready to apply next June.

You can start your GPA redemption by taking relevant coursework next semester in undergrad and getting straight As. If you can't do that, then an SMP would be a waste of your money. Prove to yourself that you are capable of delivering the goods, as, if you are unable to earn a 3.7+ during a year of (very expensive) SMP classes where you compete with med students, then the effort will have been to no purpose, if MD is your primary goal.

If I get a 4.0 in my last semester my gpa will be in the ~3.5 range and sgpa ~ 3.4+ I know this is a bit below average but I can't decide if I should apply to both MD and SMP next cycle or just apply MD and not waste money on a SMP?

If I get a 4.0 in my last semester my gpa will be in the ~3.5 range and sgpa ~ 3.4+ I know this is a bit below average but I can't decide if I should apply to both MD and SMP next cycle or just apply MD and not waste money on a SMP?

Why limit yourself to MD? I'd suggest applying to DO as well(only difference is the two letters after your name and OMM training). With a decent MCAT score and some AACOMAS grade replacement, I'd say you would be an excellent candidate for most DO schools. SMPs are expensive and, upon completion, there's still no guarantee that you'll get into an MD school.

I applied in summer even though I knew they wouldn't see my grades. I put on my app
Yea this is what I'm worried about. The whole point of doing an SMP is to show you can handle/excel in med school but if they don't see my grades until then how does it all work out? I'm really confused here:bang:
You apply to med schools in June and list that you will be attending a SMP on your app. Then for the schools that take updates, you send in your first quarter grades and grad school activities.

And again, you should apply MD and DO. At this point, you should get a bunch of DO ii and not have to do a SMP. But if your goal is only MD, a SMP will get you closer to the door, but no guarantee on going through.

Continuing your GPA resuscitation with additional undergrad classes is another option. And having an extraordinarily high MCAT score might make a difference in your decision-making. Take it one step at a time.