klmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding schools to avoid when applying with an SMP. It is probably a safe bet that top 20 schools will not give these much respect, but if anyone has any specific information, from either personal research, questioning the administration, or inexplicable anecdotes (lesser emphasis on the latter), it could be a great resource for current and future SMPers.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding schools to avoid when applying with an SMP. It is probably a safe bet that top 20 schools will not give these much respect, but if anyone has any specific information, from either personal research, questioning the administration, or inexplicable anecdotes (lesser emphasis on the latter), it could be a great resource for current and future SMPers.
I think it's easier to have a list of smp friendly schools, because it's the exception rather than the rule. That list would be every school with a SMP, GWU, and a few others.

klmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Well either works, I just figured the friendly schools can be seen in other threads and from the individual lists composed by the programs' websites, whereas there isn't necessarily a list composed of schools in which people have specifically been told not to apply to, or have contacted the admissions advisors and informed them that SMP is not considered an improvement to that particular school.

That said, anyone who wants to contribute to either a known, "friendly" list or "unfriendly" list can do so here.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's just hard to say. I go to a top 20ish school that has a few SMPers around, but they tend to be alums of the parent UG school that had stats that were borderline for admission (3.4-3.6 low/ mid 30s etc) that applied late and did a SMP during their glide year. I wouldn't consider it SMP friendly though. Does that means it's SMP unfriendly? I wouldn't say that either.

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There is just no way of knowing as whether someone has done an SMP or not is an uncaptured stat.

You could look at the MSAR for the schools which have a highest percentage of incoming students with masters. But even thats a flawed method but it might be a starting point.

Jul 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
No such thing as an SMP unfriendly school. Every school evaluates your application differently. It really depends on the whole package. If your undergrad GPA and MCAT was borderline OK and you did well, then that's a plus at any school and you will likely get interviewed. On the other hand, there are some schools (like Cincinnati, Georgetown, Drexel, EVMS) that might be more forgiviing of a less than stellar undergrad if you have a phenomenal SMP grade. Keep in mind though, even with a 3.8 and a 35, a lot of people don't get interviewed much less accepted at top 20 schools.

sagtig

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Status
Non-Student
so, to switch gears to "SMP Friendly" schools...

anyone have a comprehensive list?
Obviously all Medical Schools with SMP programs are more inclined to accept SMP students,

any other SMP friendly schools come to mind?
I tried to do a search, but too many threads came up

I have heard that Creighton and most Midwest, particularly Chicago schools appreciate SMPers

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
from anecdotes, it seems dartmouth is quite partial to smp

Mar 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with the above posts insomuch that MD schools will not look down upon a master's degree obtained from an established academic institution. However, MD schools will be "unfriendly" to a poor academic performance while completing an SMP. And, keep in mind that every applicant applying to medical school from an SMP may need to improve their application in areas other than earning a high GPA. Thus, if multiple areas need to be improved such as retaking the MCAT in August or September, entering the application cycle late, working 20+ hours a week, etc. it will be very difficult to simultaneously achieve a high GPA while attending an SMP. But, if you can manage to complete all these tasks then you will certainly reap the benefits and will appear as good--if not better than--other SMP students who only need to improve their GPA.

Personally, I have been accepted into Georgetown's SMP for the 2010-11 academic year, and I have also interviewed at two medical schools (one IS and the other OOS) so far this year. I am currently on the alternate list at both of these schools. While receiving feedback after my IS interview, I asked how their admissions committee regarded the SMP and if I should try to improve my 31P MCAT score. They told me that there was no need to retake the MCAT--thank God--but they went on to say that those SMPers who show improvements in the average/deficient area(s) of their application will be held with a high regard (i.e. they will be "friendlier" to those SMP students). Then, I told them that I had been accepted into GTown's SMP for the upcoming academic year, and they replied by telling me that--in my case--I would greatly benefit from an SMP as long as I maintain my increasing GPA trend (I have been hovering around a 3.8 for the past 4 semesters, which has resulted in a science and cumulative GPA of ~3.44 after 7 semesters) while in the SMP as well as explain my EC's more clearly in my AMCAS application if I do not get accepted from either wait list this summer. If all goes well, I will graduate with an undergraduate science and cumulative GPA of 3.51 in May and add a few more academic awards and community service hours to my resume before beginning the SMP at GTown. Thus, medical schools will be "friendly" to SMPers who have not only maintained the strong aspects of their application, but have greatly improved upon the aspects that they regard as average/deficient.

klmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Does anyone have any info on Canadian schools' views of SMPs. I am thinking about contacting a few but I doubt they will understand what they are.

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone have any info on Canadian schools' views of SMPs. I am thinking about contacting a few but I doubt they will understand what they are.
in fact I called UofT yesterday and they regard it as a graduate study, however, they would have more emphasis on your marks during the graduate school. My main goal is also to go back in Canada :S