smp vs 1 year masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madonna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

can anyone tell me what is the difference b/n smp like george town and 1 year masters programs some schools offer? why does george town call it special?
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

The SMP stands for Special Masters Program; what makes it "special" is that it is a one year masters program thus as a degree it is the same as other one year masters degrees.

I thought it was "special" because you take medical school classes with the medical school students. This offers an advantage over another Master's program, because you are able to directly show that you can do well in a medical school environment. Also, Georgetown's was the first program, so it was the only one, so maybe that's why they called it special.

Members don't see this ad :)
tacrum43 said:
I thought it was "special" because you take medical school classes with the medical school students. This offers an advantage over another Master's program, because you are able to directly show that you can do well in a medical school environment. Also, Georgetown's was the first program, so it was the only one, so maybe that's why they called it special.

But arent' all masters programs special in their own unique ways??? :laugh:

NRAI2001 said:
But arent' all masters programs special in their own unique ways??? :laugh:
just like all applicants :)