SMP vs. more classes vs. ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oyvey1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation:

Graduated from college in 2011 with a 3.38 cumulative and 2.95 sGPA. Received a 9,9,12 MCAT. Applied to U.S. MD programs in 2011 and...realize that I am not going to medical school this fall. Straight up rejections, still waiting on a few schools, but anyway.. Currently work FT in clinical trials as a CRC. Had weak science recommendation from a microbio prof. who did not know me, so I will definitely need another science recommendation.. at least..right? Cannot re-use recs? Other recs were from an MD who taught my undergrad class and a social worker who worked with me at a hospital (both were great).

Where to go from here? I was a psych major who only took core pre-med classes (not counting microbio and A&P, which I took in the beginning of college when I was a nursing major). My first thought is to take molecular and cellular biology, genetics, and biochemistry, all classes that I have not taken, at a CUNY (I am an NYU grad), part-time. My other option is to do an SMP. Or maybe I should re-take classes? I got a C in orgo I and B- in Orgo II.. C+ in Physics I and C and Physics II. A-/B- in biology and A/B an in chemistry. The nursing classes, which the AMCAS seemed to include, were A- in microbio and B+ in A&P.

I don't really understand how I would re-apply in summer 2012, even though those taking SMP classes apply before their SMP classes start... I would want new recommendations and I am not going to to my Physics I professor, who taught 300 people and gave me a C, right? Maybe I can apply to an SMP program now and apply to med school a year later? Then I would have to do the AMCAS application two more times, yes?

Also..I am dreading the thought of quitting my job.. I have zero debt, student or otherwise... How do others do this? Take out loans for living? I am so incredibly impressed with the stories of perseverance on this forum! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! Reading these boards really cheered me up and I already applied to a few programs. From what I understand, I would not have to wait a year to start medical school after I finish an SMP, correct? So, despite applying to medical school in the summer of 2013, I will be starting in the fall of 2013, unlike more traditional applicants, yes?

Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd take the glide year; don't rush through the SMP. Make sure you get As, do some research/volunteering/work while you are at it.

Its not a race.

I'd take the glide year; don't rush through the SMP. Make sure you get As, do some research/volunteering/work while you are at it.

Its not a race.
I agree, and I suggest that getting some A's in hard science/math classes before starting an SMP would be a good idea. B's and C's in the prereqs and 9's on MCAT science section say an SMP is going to be really tough. Not doing well in an SMP is a $50k mistake.

Best of luck to you.