SMP Vs. Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyisschoolhard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Special Master's Programs involve classes that build upon the prerequisites for medical school while post baccs usually involve the prerequisites. So for example, if you were a humanities major who didn't take Ochem and Gchem you would do a post bacc where as if you were a biology major who already fulfilled those req's you might look into an SMP (unless you want to retake those classes because your grades were too low). Also, an SMP would not factor into your undergrad gpa but a post bacc would.

Post-bac is undergrad courses that cover the pre-recs. Don't need (often can't have done) the pre-recs or MCAT.

SMP is a masters program (graduate level) where you take the first year of medical school generally with medical students. For these you need the pre-recs and the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a low cGPA and sGPA, which one would you prefer?

It depends. If you have a GPA < 3.0, then you'd need to take additional upper science electives in a post-bacc to raise your GPA.

In general, if you have a less than ideal GPA (below 3.5) but you have a really strong MCAT (30+) than an SMP would be ideal.

It is also my understanding that you can do independent informal post-baccs... by taking upper div science classes at a university that offers them after undergrad to prove that you can pull of doing difficult coursework.

Does the reputation of the school matter?

Are you talking about taking classes in a post-bacc (formal/informal)? Then reputation really doesn't matter, just like how the reputation of your undergrad isn't that big of a deal. As long as you do it at a 4-year university (not a CC), it should be fine. I went to a respected private university on the east coast, but am now doing a post-bacc at a public institution near my home in the mid-west. My reasons for choosing the school at home is mainly because of tuition/finance issues.

As for SMPs, a respectable SMP is one that has a high percentage of students gaining acceptance into med school. Places like Georgetown, BU, and Tufts have a high rate of students getting into med school.