SMP vs. Regular Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pky463

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this spring with a GPA that will be between 3.1 and 3.2 (BCPM in the same range). I'm taking the MCAT in a few weeks--January 26th eek-- and my practice scores have been in the mid 30 range so far. I'm also in the process of applying for masters programs to fill in the lag year.

My GPA is mostly the result of a terrible first 3 semesters of college which have been tough to recover from. My last 4 semesters I've kept a 3.6+. My app's strongest point, I think, is my research--I've been doing research in applied math/biomechanics for 3 years and I'm really really passionate about it. I'd eventually like to go for a MD/PhD, but I know how competitive the programs are so I'm banking on having to do them separately.

So my question is, is doing an SMP vs. a regular masters (probably in Applied Math or Biomedical Engineering) going to help my apps for MD? Which would look better for MD/PhD? Should I even bother applying for the joint programs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Compared to an regular masters SMPs are much better at getting you into medical school. A good performance in an SMP is almost a guarentee of admissions into medical school. A regular Masters is pretty worthless, actually. Also compared to a regular masters, SMPs cost more, are much higher risk (screw up an you'll never get into medical school, ever), and are completely useless in terms of getting you a job if you don't end up an M1. You also didn't mention the option of just taking more undergraduate classes to improve your GPA. In any event, the choice of what to do is yours.

Ask around, but I think you're screwed for MD/PhD. Does doing one and then the other add more than one year to your schedule anyway?

I think at this point EVMS is my first choice for SMPs because of the linkage. Applying in late January (after MCATS)--too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I believe applying in late January is obscenely early. Check their website for admissions information, though.

Also look into Tulane Pharm. Not quite as high a linkage at EVMS, but still quite good (around 60%) Also the degree is ever so slightly more useful.
Can you please elaborate on Tulane Pharm? I've found very little information about it on SDN. Where did you get the 60% statistic? Do you know offhand the admissions profile of this years (or last years) class? Thanks.

Nope I am not an alumni of the program. I did my masters degree in physiology at University of Cincinnati. I don't know much about the pharm program. I'll try to garner whatever information I can about the program and post it here