SMP vs work and reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnwmedstud9

Reaction score
hi everyone. i was accepted to several SMPs (one MD in CA and the rest DO in CA and other states). i graduated last year w/ non-science major.

uGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 2.8 (BEFORE post bacc)

after postbacc: cGPA 3.35
sGPA: 3.01

MCAT: 508

volunteering: thousands of hours with 2 major organizations
work: 5k+ hours as a scribe in over a dozen medical clinics -- worked for my last 2 years of undergrad and in the year since graduating
great LORs from MDs with whom i worked

i applied to several med schools (all DO) and was rejected from all of them. should i do one of these master's or work (tangentially related to medical field with a good salary), retake MCAT, and reapply more broadly?

i hate the idea of doing ANOTHER year of school in addition to med school. this job is somewhat related to medicine, pays well, would give time off for interviews, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

My recommendation would be to take a look at the SMPs where you hold acceptances and attend the one that has the best track record of placing students in their home program.

Your GPA is borderline for me giving the recommendation of an SMP, but it's fairly clear that your ECs are not the thing holding back your application and another year of work will not add much to your file.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had pretty similar stats however I did an SMP instead of a post-bac program.

Did you get any II's?

I feel an SMP will greatly improve your chances if you do well. I doubt your GPA would be an issue after that but I understand that giving up your current situation would not be ideal. It would be riskier but if you are confident you can do better on your MCAT, that might be the shorter route. Ideally, you would be able to do both and have your strongest possible app!

I agree that your EC's seem fine and shouldn't be an issue

Reactions: 1 user
hi everyone. i was accepted to several SMPs (one MD in CA and the rest DO in CA and other states). i graduated last year w/ non-science major.

uGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 2.8 (BEFORE post bacc)

after postbacc: cGPA 3.35
sGPA: 3.01

MCAT: 508

volunteering: thousands of hours with 2 major organizations
work: 5k+ hours as a scribe in over a dozen medical clinics -- worked for my last 2 years of undergrad and in the year since graduating
great LORs from MDs with whom i worked

i applied to several med schools (all DO) and was rejected from all of them. should i do one of these master's or work (tangentially related to medical field with a good salary), retake MCAT, and reapply more broadly?

i hate the idea of doing ANOTHER year of school in addition to med school. this job is somewhat related to medicine, pays well, would give time off for interviews, etc.

how many is several? and what was your GPA in your post-bacc alone? Do you have any LORs from DOs?

To me, it seems like you did well in your postbacc and your MCAT is solid for DO, and your pre-med ECs are strong as well. I can't understand why you wouldn't receive an interview even so other than low uGPA are there any red flags on your application?

Reactions: 1 user