healthylife123
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone!
I am a current reapplicant preparing to apply in 2027-2028 cycle. My states are:
Graduated in 2022 with a BA in Public Health, so I am now 5 yrs out of undergrad.
MCAT: Took twice and got a 507 both times
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.65
I have 6 As, 3 Bs, and 1 C, with an upward trajectory. Unfortunately, I believe my main issue is that my transcript is very spotty, as there are 3 semesters where I took only 3 or even 2 courses. This made me graduate in 4.5 yrs. Overall, my biggest weakness in definitely how my transcript looks and how long it has been. My less than average MCAT score with a bad retake is also not good.
My ECs are:
- Lead Medical Assistant: Over 10,000 clinical hours over past 3 years. This involved direct patient care, scribing, interpreting labs and calling pts, and overall being very involved in managing a private practice.
- Clinical Research Coordinator: 1 yr and I was in charge of a study.
- Health Non Profit Project Manager: I worked and volunteered here for 2 years, was part of a large-scale project for cataract eye surgery in multiple countries in Africa.
- Published 1 case report, working on a 2nd one.
In undergrad, I was heavily focused on community service and outreach, however now it has been several years since I graduated.
Because I have already taken all my pre-recs, I recently was advised that I should do an SMP in order to prove to medical schools I can handle academic rigor, but I am struggling to accept that an SMP is the best way. I would have to take out loans 100%. I want to get into med school no matter what but I am unable to find good guidance on whether this is a good idea. Hoping I can get some feedback here, or if anyone can recommend good third party advising resources.
Thank you!
I am a current reapplicant preparing to apply in 2027-2028 cycle. My states are:
Graduated in 2022 with a BA in Public Health, so I am now 5 yrs out of undergrad.
MCAT: Took twice and got a 507 both times
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.65
I have 6 As, 3 Bs, and 1 C, with an upward trajectory. Unfortunately, I believe my main issue is that my transcript is very spotty, as there are 3 semesters where I took only 3 or even 2 courses. This made me graduate in 4.5 yrs. Overall, my biggest weakness in definitely how my transcript looks and how long it has been. My less than average MCAT score with a bad retake is also not good.
My ECs are:
- Lead Medical Assistant: Over 10,000 clinical hours over past 3 years. This involved direct patient care, scribing, interpreting labs and calling pts, and overall being very involved in managing a private practice.
- Clinical Research Coordinator: 1 yr and I was in charge of a study.
- Health Non Profit Project Manager: I worked and volunteered here for 2 years, was part of a large-scale project for cataract eye surgery in multiple countries in Africa.
- Published 1 case report, working on a 2nd one.
In undergrad, I was heavily focused on community service and outreach, however now it has been several years since I graduated.
Because I have already taken all my pre-recs, I recently was advised that I should do an SMP in order to prove to medical schools I can handle academic rigor, but I am struggling to accept that an SMP is the best way. I would have to take out loans 100%. I want to get into med school no matter what but I am unable to find good guidance on whether this is a good idea. Hoping I can get some feedback here, or if anyone can recommend good third party advising resources.
Thank you!