Solard

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey all, I tried to do a bit of research on this, but I couldn't find any specific threads/posts on this. I am URM with a low GPA due to a disastrous freshman and poor sophomore year (3.1 sgpa 3.4 cum with a very high upward trend in higher level chemistry and biology courses, 3.9 last year) so I was looking towards SMPs, but I am also severely lacking in ECs. All I've got is 1 year of research, ~20 hours shadowing a maxillofacial surgeon, and a similar time volunteering in hospice. Though it's not a very good excuse given the hardships many premeds face/overcome on the way to SMPs/medschools, part of the reason my ECs are so poor/nonexistent is because I have had to work 20-35 hours/semester through college. I'm not applying until next year (taking my MCAT on Aug 28th, and I've been scoring 30-32 lately on practice tests) by which time I should have raised my sGPA a good deal more. This fall will make for another 30 hr/week semester for me, so I don't see myself doing much more than 2-3 hrs/week of volunteering/shadowing.

Long story short: how much do good SMPs such as Tufts MBS and Georgetown SMP weigh clinical work in regard to accepting students, and is it realistic to do clinical work while in these programs?
Thanks in advance

Toss

De Brevitate Vitae
Apr 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
Long story short: how much do good SMPs such as Tufts MBS and Georgetown SMP weigh clinical work in regard to accepting students, and is it realistic to do clinical work while in these programs?
Thanks in advance

They look at your application holistically, and see if the only blemish there is your undergraduate application.

You can volunteer and shadow (in moderation, of course).

Dec 6, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Should take a look at the URM SMPs. Think Georgetown even has one. It's listed under a separate category which might work. I know your CV looks sparse (especially on here ^^), but you likely left out lots of other stuff, jobs especially seem to be really well liked even if it's non-medical/science/research. Best of luck to you!

About the Ads

Bea5T

7+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Rock the MCAT and apply. Don't let people on this site skew your perceptions into thinking you need some amazing life changing EC's.

Freezing

7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Tufts MBS has the opportunity to volunteer at a free clinic alongside med students. I actually cited that opportunity and my lack of clinical experience in my essay (I think-- it was over a year ago) and was accepted.

That said, SMP is risky and expensive, and if you polish the other parts of your app (MCAT, ECs, etc) you very well may get in without it.

Solard

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Should take a look at the URM SMPs. Think Georgetown even has one. It's listed under a separate category which might work. I know your CV looks sparse (especially on here ^^), but you likely left out lots of other stuff, jobs especially seem to be really well liked even if it's non-medical/science/research. Best of luck to you!

I checked out GEMS but I don't think I qualify because the only hardships I've faced are being URM and working consistently throughout undergrad. I'm not from a particularly disadvantaged area and my parents aren't particularly indigent--I was just the last child of 4 to go through college :( I am going to drop them a line now, though, just in case.

Rock the MCAT and apply. Don't let people on this site skew your perceptions into thinking you need some amazing life changing EC's.

That's the plan as of now

Tufts MBS has the opportunity to volunteer at a free clinic alongside med students. I actually cited that opportunity and my lack of clinical experience in my essay (I think-- it was over a year ago) and was accepted.

That said, SMP is risky and expensive, and if you polish the other parts of your app (MCAT, ECs, etc) you very well may get in without it.

The reason I felt SMPs were my best shot was because it's too late to apply for this cycle and I feel like doing an SMP in my gap year would be impressive to schools. Also, I have 3 Ws on my transcript and I want to show that they are aberrations.

Thanks for the responses!

Dec 6, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I checked out GEMS but I don't think I qualify because the only hardships I've faced are being URM and working consistently throughout undergrad. I'm not from a particularly disadvantaged area and my parents aren't particularly indigent--I was just the last child of 4 to go through college :( I am going to drop them a line now, though, just in case...

I think either URM or disadvantaged would be sufficient. I think you're getting hung up for nothing.

Your middle class or what not background is NOT a negative toward consideration.
I mean, think about it. These admin and programs do want their students to succeed and they also know the stats. That your siblings are in or completed college is a good thing. You can say something like "seeing my older siblings strive in so-and-so institution/college motivates me toward my goal etc" and you would turn it into a positive point in your application.

You worked in college and didn't mention it? I knew it! Something for later, but make that very clear in your application and list each job separately. Yes, it's a pretty big deal.

If you're set on doing a SMP after next year, definitely apply to the cat5: URM ones listed (GEMS, DPMS) in the other thread. I love my SMP, but I can not advise you to come to Tufts or any of the other regular SMPs when I think you have a good shot at getting into one of those. Take your MCAT, with a good enough score, you might have a shot at MD straight away.

I hope you realize you come off as being remarkably humble and grounded. I mean that in only the very best of terms. You can tell because this thread is not being eviscerated by some regulars like the ones below this. ;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.