SMPs/Masters programs that transfer credits to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Melomare17

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if there were any SMPs or other masters programs (preferably 1 year) that allowed you to transfer credits / apply credits towards medical school (like if it was affiliated/associated with a medical school, you wouldn't have to take those classes again)?

I know there were a few, but just not sure where I heard of it.

Any information would be appreciated!
 
Rosalind Franklin's BMS program transfers the 4 med school classes if you matriculate to CMS. I think the EVMS program does the same for their medical school.
 
I was wondering if there were any SMPs or other masters programs (preferably 1 year) that allowed you to transfer credits / apply credits towards medical school (like if it was affiliated/associated with a medical school, you wouldn't have to take those classes again)?

I know there were a few, but just not sure where I heard of it.

Any information would be appreciated!

Drexel lets you exempt from classes you took in the SMP.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think many of those programs allow (or strongly encourage) students to TA the classes they pass out of, which I think it'd be a good idea to remember it for boards etc.
 
thanks for the info! would these only apply to the school they were affiliated with or to a different med school if you chose to go elsewhere?
 
thanks for the info! would these only apply to the school they were affiliated with or to a different med school if you chose to go elsewhere?

That would depend on the medical school you ultimately end up at, rather than the SMP program you're in. All schools have their own policies about what courses they'll give you credit for. For example, at Drexel, getting credit for IMS courses is just a matter of e-mailing the course director about it, whereas if you had SMP courses from another institution you'd have to give them a syllabus (to make sure the curriculum is similar enough) and take an exemption test.