SMPs with decent stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenlittle84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have a question for everyone. I feel like I see a lot of people on these threads (and in life) enroll in an SMP, even when they have decent stats (for example, 3.5, 30). I guess I am just wondering what the value in that is because these numbers are average - they won't get you in, but they won't keep you out. I always thought an SMP is to prove you can do the work, but since people with lower numbers and amazing ecs, etc, get in, it seems like the problem isn't that med schools think people with these numbers can't do the work, right? Does this make sense? I am just curious - I am thinking about doing one if I don't get in this round (but my science gpa is below average).

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there are a few good reasons to do it:

1) They do boost your GPA if you do well.
2) They defer student loans in the lag year.
3) A Master's degree looks pretty good, especially if you wait an additional year after so it makes it to your AMCAS application.

But,
1) It's expensive.
2) It means you don't take any time off of school ever, and that is really nice (which is why doing an SMP and then taking one year off of school to work and apply is nice).
3) If you don't do well it may hurt your GPA.

SMPs designed for students who have one problem with their application: GPA. Some of them help out with lower MCAT scores, ECs, etc but in general its just to focus on proving that they are capable of medical school coursework.

So yes, there are people who go to SMPs with a 3.5 and a 30, but I'm sure they have their reasons. It may not be the best decision, but it certainly can act as an insurance policy if you don't get in during your first round of apps.

I've got a lowish GPA but good ECs, and although I'm sending in apps right now I'm going to an SMP in the fall. That way, if I get in, great, if I don't, well I've got another year of (hopefully) good grades to help get me in next time.

Well, there are a few good reasons to do it:

1) They do boost your GPA if you do well.
2) They defer student loans in the lag year.
3) A Master's degree looks pretty good, especially if you wait an additional year after so it makes it to your AMCAS application.

But,
1) It's expensive.
2) It means you don't take any time off of school ever, and that is really nice (which is why doing an SMP and then taking one year off of school to work and apply is nice).
3) If you don't do well it may hurt your GPA.

Actually, the grades you earn in an SMP do not average with your undergraduate GPA on AMCAS. If you had a 3.2 coming in, you'll have a 3.2 coming out. A separate graduate GPA is also calculated on AMCAS, but they are not combined. Also, not all SMPs result in a Masters degree, or only do after two years, so be sure to read the info carefully.