SMPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faye74

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm graduating from my undergrad Spring 2014. I not applying for medical schools this summer because my GPA is 2.87 and i haven't taken the MCAT. I'm focusing on improving my gpa. I want to enroll in a SMP or some type of masters that will help me get into medical school. I know I should apply to those in the fall or so in order to start the program Fall 2014.

Can anyone give me some names of good programs I can apply to. Programs that actually will help me get into medical schools, considering the area I'm lacking strength is GPA.

Thank you I appreciate the help :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

I'm graduating from my undergrad Spring 2014. I not applying for medical schools this summer because my GPA is 2.87 and i haven't taken the MCAT. I'm focusing on improving my gpa. I want to enroll in a SMP or some type of masters that will help me get into medical school. I know I should apply to those in the fall or so in order to start the program Fall 2014.

Can anyone give me some names of good programs I can apply to. Programs that actually will help me get into medical schools, considering the area I'm lacking strength is GPA.

Thank you I appreciate the help :luck:

I would focus on raising that GPA to above 3.0. Most of the SMPs that are considered first tier on that list won't consider you with a GPA below 3.0 and even if they do, almost all Med schools have an auto-cut off at 3.0.

The list may be a little out dated, but most of it holds true. You can also use AMCA's search feature for a good SMP.

Looking back on my position a few years ago, I can understand your position. Some wise words that helped me on my journey.

1) Learn to study. There is a reason why the GPA is so low and rushing into a SMP will not resolve things. Possibly do some post-bacc work for a year to alter your studying habits.

2) Get a competitive MCAT score BEFORE starting the SMP. If you get into a competitive SMP, you will not have time to take the MCAT while taking the ridiculous course loads they want you to take.

3) Look into SMPs that have good reputation with state residency medical schools. Certain schools have extremely high entrance rates for their state residents. SMPs nearby that medical school often have good connections and it will help your entrance into that prospective medical school.

4) Lastly, understand that it takes many years of hard work and continual effort to dig yourself out of the undergraduate hole. Connect and learn more about the medical field to keep your passion high because there will be many highs and lows on this path.

As for which SMP you should go for, there are many lists on this board but with your GPA, I will say the competitive ones are out of your range unless you score high on the MCAT (33+). I'm going to do a shameless plug and say look into Mississippi College Biomedical Science program. It has done tremendous things for me and my future into medicine.

Best of luck!

Last edited: