SMU KISM or hold out for PhD MD

Started by lynk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lynk

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really need some advice. I am a Canadian wanting to practice surgery in the US. My background was business and decided to make a change. I took the MCAT and did ?not so well? 17, but that was to be expected with no science classes. I did however manage to get accepted to a few Caribbean schools (SMU being the best of the bunch) and a school in Cambridge England, KISM. Although that was the plan over all, because I did not even apply anywhere else things have changed. ???.

I have been offered to do a PhD with an MD from a professor (associate) moving to the US. She keeps telling me it won?t be a problem to get me in to a joint PhD MD but I have my doubts. If I wait a year and see will I be shooting myself in the foot, or is there a chance this can work?? She has offers from some of the ?better known? in the US and England.
 
I'm sorry I can't offer any input on your question and instead have one of my own......you got into SMU with NO science courses? I read that in another thread also and my eyes almost popped out of my head, hell they wouldn't even consider my app just because i was missing one freakin prereq even though i met all the other requirements and then some! I finally finished it and submitted it and was accepted.

Please respond because I am very seriously considering SMU and if the school is really that inconsistent with their standards I would like to know now before I entrust my future to them.
 
Sorry to confuse you, I took the MCAT before I had any sciences, then i went back to do all the requirements. So I have all and then some. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Aaron
 
Thanks for clarifying. I will attend SMU this fall and when you said that about the science courses, or rather when I misinterpreted, that kind of set off a red flag. Good luck!

By the way, I'd go with SMU! (and I am)