SMU or UNSW in Australia?

Started by anomorato
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anomorato

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been accepted into SMU and just recently gained admissions into University of New South Wales in Sydney Australia. I was there recently visitng family and tried my luck with applying.

If you were in my shoes which path would you go ? SMU or UNSW?

THanks
 
I have been accepted into SMU and just recently gained admissions into University of New South Wales in Sydney Australia. I was there recently visitng family and tried my luck with applying.

If you were in my shoes which path would you go ? SMU or UNSW?

THanks

SMU
 
First I want to say Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
But this is rather unusual to compare Carib vs domicile program of another Nation. My take on it is SMU is absolutely fine school, USMLE style etc...but that's when everything else fails. Dunno, but Ausie school will carry more weight when it comes to residency. And more than likely the Down Under school shouldn't have any licensing issues, unlike SMU. I was accepted to SMU as well back in 2004, but didn't go. I don't want ppl jumping on me, but if your situation permits, and you could stay in Australia I'd go for it. BTW how much is it in U.S $$$, and how many years? Just my $0.02. but didn't you want to go D.O before? Just wondering.

best of Luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been accepted into SMU and just recently gained admissions into University of New South Wales in Sydney Australia. I was there recently visitng family and tried my luck with applying.

If you were in my shoes which path would you go ? SMU or UNSW?

THanks


Im considering Australia tooo, have anyone gone here and applied for residency back in the states?
 
Well I got in UNSW just a couple days ago. The program is usually a 6 yr curriculum, but I was credit 1.5 yrs for my Bs, leaving me with 4.5 yrs.
The tuition is 37K/yr AUS = 30K US for 2.5 semesters.
I was supposed to go SMU this semester of Jan, but I made my deferrel to May to study my options better with UNSW.
I was just in sydney about a month ago, visited the school and the staff, and I loved it over there, especially the country itself. The only downside about doing med there is the fact that it may be a longer road to becoming a fully licensed physician; after graduating, you must complete a 1-2 yrs internship and then enroll into residency.

BillyDOC, yes I did consider DO once, but didnt follow through with it.

Let me know what you think ...
 
Well I got in UNSW just a couple days ago. The program is usually a 6 yr curriculum, but I was credit 1.5 yrs for my Bs, leaving me with 4.5 yrs.
The tuition is 37K/yr AUS = 30K US for 2.5 semesters.
I was supposed to go SMU this semester of Jan, but I made my deferrel to May to study my options better with UNSW.
I was just in sydney about a month ago, visited the school and the staff, and I loved it over there, especially the country itself. The only downside about doing med there is the fact that it may be a longer road to becoming a fully licensed physician; after graduating, you must complete a 1-2 yrs internship and then enroll into residency.

BillyDOC, yes I did consider DO once, but didnt follow through with it.

Let me know what you think ...


UNSW !!! I believe they are Cali Approved so they are the better choice!:luck:
 
Well I got in UNSW just a couple days ago.

BillyDOC, yes I did consider DO once, but didnt follow through with it.

Let me know what you think ...

I'd still try U.S MD or D.O. If not "Big 4" and Ausie school, and then everything else including SMU.

Good Luck
 
I'd still try U.S MD or D.O. If not "Big 4" and Ausie school, and then everything else including SMU.

Good Luck



IF HE WAS ABLE TO GO IN THE USA HE PROB WOULD BUT HE IS TARGETING THE CARIB FOR OTHER REASONS...SMU IS A FINE SCHOOL CALLED THEM TODAY AND THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN STRAIGHT UP WITH ANY QUESIONS I EVER HAD
 
IF HE WAS ABLE TO GO IN THE USA HE PROB WOULD BUT HE IS TARGETING THE CARIB FOR OTHER REASONS...SMU IS A FINE SCHOOL CALLED THEM TODAY AND THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN STRAIGHT UP WITH ANY QUESIONS I EVER HAD


He posted on here and on VMD before asking basically Carib now or D.O later? I'd say try U.S first. This was my exact mistake. I've had way too many "experts" advising me to go "now, now. It's now or never". I got in ROSS, SABA and SMU without much effort in 2004 (not bragging). But when I got to ROSS almost everybody told me that they didn't get in U.S. So I was in that dumb minority which never even tried, b/c I was too cowordly to take MCAT, using my age (then 34) as an exuse. But DrJ one becomes by overcoming, IMHO. That's not to say that any good school including SMU will not get you there.

My strog and sencere suggestion to the O.P is...if you WANT TO PRACTICE IN THE U S A do what it takes to get in your own country first. These thoughts of "OMG I'll be xyz age when I get there" is a weakness. Been there done that. You'll be that age anyway some time. Might as well do it right the first time. Hope it helps.

Good luck
 
Thanks for the advice billydoc.
Are you done from ROSS now?


I did two semesters there. But didn't continue, b/c I was quite sick for a while (not sick of ROSS, though that's a possibility :laugh: ). Since I withdrew for medical, and well-documented reasons it is possible to go back. But...I believe that I've made a mistake, and sold myself short. As it stands right now I do not see a reason why I couldn't get somewhere in U.S. So i'll give it my best shot. Carib will always be there as long as you are credit worthy, IMHO.
 
I did two semesters there. But didn't continue, b/c I was quite sick for a while (not sick of ROSS, though that's a possibility :laugh: ). Since I withdrew for medical, and well-documented reasons it is possible to go back. But...I believe that I've made a mistake, and sold myself short. As it stands right now I do not see a reason why I couldn't get somewhere in U.S. So i'll give it my best shot. Carib will always be there as long as you are credit worthy, IMHO.

Whats your stats billydoc out of curiousity?