Sn2 E2 and electrophoresis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dencology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what take precedent over SN2 or E2?
also, which moves faster in electrophoresis, protein with a higher molecular weight or with a lower MW? according to destroyer it says that protein with the higher MW moves faster so i am not sure. this just does not make sense! if it talks about comparing the polarity then i understand that the polar molecule moves slower b/c of the polarity. the agar gel is polar so polar molecule with stick it. but what about size?

Members don't see this ad.

what take precedent over SN2 or E2?
also, which moves faster in electrophoresis, protein with a higher molecular weight or with a lower MW? according to destroyer it says that protein with the higher MW moves faster so i am not sure. this just does not make sense! if it talks about comparing the polarity then i understand that the polar molecule moves slower b/c of the polarity. the agar gel is polar so polar molecule with stick it. but what about size?
I don't understand your first question.

For the second question, I thought smaller fragments (lower MW) move faster.

yes. that is what i thought but in destroyer bio #324, 303 in both problems is says that the molecule with the smaller MW stays that the bottom of the agar gel. i am not sure about this? what do you think.

also for the first q. i wanted to know when do you go E2 and when do you go SN2? is is when you have a bulky base we choose E2?

yes. that is what i thought but in destroyer bio #324, 303 in both problems is says that the molecule with the smaller MW stays that the bottom of the agar gel. i am not sure about this? what do you think.

also for the first q. i wanted to know when do you go E2 and when do you go SN2? is is when you have a bulky base we choose E2?
sorry but I only have questions upto 278.

Yea you are right! when you have bulky bases, E2 is prefered

The smaller fragments are at the bottom of the gel plate because they have moved the furthest.

E2 and SN2 are in competition with eachother when you have a strong base reacting with a alkyl halide, etc. You always look at the E2 products first. If an E2 product is a stable alkene, with 3 C-C bonds around the Double Bond, then elimination will be favored. If there are 2 C-C bonds around the double bond, you will get a mixture of E2 and SN2. This is when reaction conditions make a difference. Heat will force E, while low temp can help favor SN2. If you get 0 or 1 C-C bond around your double bond then SN2 will predominate. The statement about the bulky base is correct as well, it will favor E because of steric hinderance factors.