SN2 inversion of configuration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westphi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the Sn2 rxn results in inversion of configuation...then shouldn't a molecule go from one absolute configuration to the other? i.e. go from R to S or S to R.

Members don't see this ad.

If the Sn2 rxn results in inversion of configuation...then shouldn't a molecule go from one absolute configuration to the other? i.e. go from R to S or S to R.

not always the case. It really depends on how the addition of the attacking nucliophile and loss of the leaving group changes the priorities around the chiral center. Ur interpretation of Sn2 isnt hard and fast.

There is an inversion of relative configuration.

So, when you draw out the inverted SN2 product do so with the group that has left so you know the relative inversion configuration--then replace the group that has left with the nucleophile and then determine its absolute configuration. This may or may not be the same relative configuration!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone. I guess I failed to recognize that the nucleophile could be a different priority than the leaving group. Cheers!