SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
*sigh* Had to do it! Now I know how Khaleesi felt like when she chained up her dragons !.... Now to add the embarrassing sites I visit *clears throat* anyone know of a android version of this as well ?

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-26_14-42-7.png
    upload_2014-7-26_14-42-7.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 96
I've said this repeatedly on this thread, but I'll say it again.

If you read a chapter in TBR, feel like you don't understand it, and decide not to do the passages until you get better understanding, you're hurting yourself. Read a chapter, and review a few areas where you felt weak in. But by no means should you spend time reading it over until you get it "down". Doing the passages and reviewing your mistakes/explanations will help you learn to think like the writers and do content review at the same time. Even on the rereading days where you read every chapter again, you shouldn't be spending a lot of time reading. Just skim, and do questions. You'll see the most improvement from doing the passages and reviewing the mistakes.

Example:
I took a break a few days ago in the middle of reading BR Gen Chem Ch. 10. I just finished the chapter today and I feel like I didn't get one section fully understood. I'm gonna spend about 20-30 minutes reviewing just that section and I'll do the 1/3 passages. I know I don't feel entirely confident, but I do know that when I review, I'll review it so well that I'll most likely never miss a question like that again. You can do this by adding Anki cards. I've got 1178 cards right now. I'll review them once I'm done with content review, and every day when I start the FLs.

Basically, this post is a shorter post to a much longer (and delayed) post I've been meaning to write about how I think you can improve instead of just doing content review. Not everyone feels like they get everything after content review, but you'll improve through FLs. This advice isn't just some mumbo jumbo I invented. I know 3 guys who scored a 36, 37, and 38 who all gave me literally the same advice at separate occasions. It's been working for me

I also find the need to repeat this to myself because it gives me self justification for my struggles hahaha. If this post actually helps any of you guys, I'll pin it to 1st page.

Reactions: 9 users

If you read a chapter in TBR, feel like you don't understand it, and decide not to do the passages until you get better understanding, you're hurting yourself. Read a chapter, and review a few areas where you felt weak in. But by no means should you spend time reading it over until you get it "down". Doing the passages and reviewing your mistakes/explanations will help you learn to think like the writers and do content review at the same time. Even on the rereading days where you read every chapter again, you shouldn't be spending a lot of time reading. Just skim, and do questions. You'll see the most improvement from doing the passages and reviewing the mistakes.

Example:
I took a break a few days ago in the middle of reading BR Gen Chem Ch. 10. I just finished the chapter today and I feel like I didn't get one section fully understood. I'm gonna spend about 20-30 minutes reviewing just that section and I'll do the 1/3 passages. I know I don't feel entirely confident, but I do know that when I review, I'll review it so well that I'll most likely never miss a question like that again. You can do this by adding Anki cards. I've got 1178 cards right now. I'll review them once I'm done with content review, and every day when I start the FLs.

Basically, this post is a shorter post to a much longer (and delayed) post I've been meaning to write about how I think you can improve instead of just doing content review. Not everyone feels like they get everything after content review, but you'll improve through FLs. This advice isn't just some mumbo jumbo I invented. I know 3 guys who scored a 36, 37, and 38 who all gave me literally the same advice at separate occasions. It's been working for me

I also find the need to repeat this to myself because it gives me self justification for my struggles hahaha. If this post actually helps any of you guys, I'll pin it to 1st page.
Heard this alot , and I personally see the validity in this point and would recommend it for most persons . I just don't think its for me , *sigh* hopefully I will smarten up and come around , but I know myself for 21 years I just think doing it my way might be best. After a full week I will step back and reevaluate if I should change or not

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, wish i found this thread earlier. im taking it next week and have one FL left. i was wondering if you guys recommend doing kaplan section tests or AAMC SA instead for the time remaining? i also have TPRH SW and heard it has some good bio passages. i haven't started the AAMC SA though so should i just spend all my time on those or is the kaplan and TPRH SW worth a look?

hey guys, wish i found this thread earlier. im taking it next week and have one FL left. i was wondering if you guys recommend doing kaplan section tests or AAMC SA instead for the time remaining? i also have TPRH SW and heard it has some good bio passages. i haven't started the AAMC SA though so should i just spend all my time on those or is the kaplan and TPRH SW worth a look?
You should do the SA. That itself takes like a week from what I've heard

Heard this alot , and I personally see the validity in this point and would recommend it for most persons . I just don't think its for me , *sigh* hopefully I will smarten up and come around , but I know myself for 21 years I just think doing it my way might be best. After a full week I will step back and reevaluate if I should change or not
Yeah see how your method works, it's different for everyone. But if after a week or so it's not working well or you find yourself behind, then you may need to change it. Yes it's a risk to put your faith in a new method but that's why it's a risk

Example:

This is the best advice anyone can receive about studying for the MCAT; you don't need to have four phDs to do well. If anyone skips practice passages to tighten up content areas, they're doing themselves a huge disservice. Practice passages hone in on content areas as well. IMO, content should only be %25 of studying at max.

Reactions: 2 users

There's a reason those sentiments are expressed so often. From my own experience, I was in the same boat as you were by thinking I needed to have the content down pat before doing passages, but I realized that practice passages offer the best usage of my time and offer the highest yield. I hope you do well on the MCAT. Set maintainable goals for yourself if you feel it's daunting--like doing 15-20 passages a day after content review and you'll start to see improvements in your knowledge of the content and in your readiness for MCAT style questions/passages.

Reactions: 1 users
Alas, I'm not going to be done with my MCAT for a long, long while. After a lot of deliberation I've decided to push my date back from November 7th to early January (the next available batch). It's going to be better for me in the long run, I think. It'll give me time to go through the material several times over and really relearn the stuff I've forgotten- I'll be able to do lots of practice exams, too!

Edit: Also I'll be able to get some shadowing in a LOT earlier. Gotta get some clinical experience in my apps!

I was thinking of moving my exam to early January to prepare more too!

A handfull of my friends are encouraging me not to because I run the risk of bot being able to retake.

What are your opinion on this everyone?

Do you think that it's likely that after reviewing for so long you might happen to have a "bad day" on test day?

Also, I assume that the January exams won't be any harder than any others right?

:luck::D:D:D:D:D:D:DHi Everyone!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:luck:

:soexcited:I have completed the second draft of my Verbal primer! :soexcited:I strongly recommend reading Part I, and Part III if you would like an in-depth review of arguments and fallacies.

Part II is an introduction, of a sort, to political institutions/frameworks, market mechanisms, etc. I have come across many passages dealing with philosophy and the state, and I found it quite helpful to review my old notes!

My primer will present, to you, my perspective on how I approach Verbal passages. From the bottom of my heart I hope that it helps you in your journey as you attempt to master the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT.

All the best,
DoctorInASaree :flame::love:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

Note: This is only ( :eek: ) the 2nd draft. If you have any value to add to this document please let me know! I suspect I will update this document in a week or two.

This is great. What was the process of making this?

Anyone working while studying? With my hectic work schedule and mcat studying it takes a tremendous amount of motivation and discipline to keep going. Which is why I'm behind haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone working while studying? With my hectic work schedule and mcat studying it takes a tremendous amount of motivation and discipline to keep going. Which is why I'm behind haha.

I have respect for you my friend. I tried working fulltime and studying and it was no bueno so I took some time off. #nomovacationdays

I have respect for you my friend. I tried working fulltime and studying and it was no bueno so I took some time off. #nomovacationdays

Thanks man appreciate it. Not doing that great right now but everyday is a new day and an opportunity to improve. I swear everyone here is like a machine.

Glad I'm not the only one. @mehco12 that's my goal right nown haha. The ultimate balance.

TexasSurgeon what type of exercise you do? I tried doing p90x but I'm behind that as well lol.

Thanks man appreciate it. Not doing that great right now but everyday is a new day and an opportunity to improve. I swear everyone here is like a machine.
Hahaha naw man don't sweat it. If you scroll through the pages, you'll notice that every one of us here have had our ups and downs, especially in the beginning.

Glad I'm not the only one. @mehco12 that's my goal right nown haha. The ultimate balance.

TexasSurgeon what type of exercise you do? I tried doing p90x but I'm behind that as well lol.
I usually work out MWF and then swim on Saturdays/Sundays. So Monday will be chest day, Wednesday is legs (ugh), Friday is arms. My issue is getting enough calories in, but I'm pretty sure that's everyone's problem hahaha.

Occasionally I'll trip up. Like last week I didn't lift any weights and just swam for like 4 days straight. I lost like 5 pounds of good weight. But it was a good stress reliever :D

Hey people. Me again. How do you guys take notes from Berkeley Review? Do you guys save them in a notebook or binder? What seems to work?

I love taking notes but I've found that I like it because it feels like I'm accomplishing something, but usually I'm just writing/copying on autopilot. That can't happen anymore.

Any advice here would be great!

I think if you go to the gym instead of doing p90x at your house you will find nice encouraging atmosphere which can then allow you to get back to studying without being too tired.

That's one of the main reasons I go to the gym: the encouragement and support from my friends is unreal.

Sounds like my routine during the school year. Except instead of swimming I run. Yeah and not getting enough calories is exactly my problem as well. Worked out and lifted for years...diet has been crap so results were minimal haha. I imagine you're a decent size dude with that work ethic.

You don't get that high from lifting much compared to swimming huh? I would do cardio all day if my legs weren't so prone to injury.

Hey people. Me again. How do you guys take notes from Berkeley Review? Do you guys save them in a notebook or binder? What seems to work?

I love taking notes but I've found that I like it because it feels like I'm accomplishing something, but usually I'm just writing/copying on autopilot. That can't happen anymore.

Any advice here would be great!

A friend of mine took notes for all of TBR by hand. He said it was a huge waste of time. Now this could be his own personal experience or it can mean that you can spend the time your note taking on other tasks such as passages.

I belive taking notes makes you understand the content a little more but has a higher diminishing return as opposed to doing passages.

Passages let you assess not only content but also familiarize you with the way the other present the material. This is the conxept TexasSurgeon just posted.

I make Anki cards as I read, so that I can review all of the notes routinely.

I think if you go to the gym instead of doing p90x at your house you will find nice encouraging atmosphere which can then allow you to get back to studying without being too tired.

That's one of the main reasons I go to the gym: the encouragement and support from my friends is unreal.

Yeah I know exactly what your talking about. More productive when you had the chance to burn the extra energy and socialize with friends. I'm thinking of doing that but everyone is gone for the summer :'(. You should thank your friends and family for the support when your done with all this. I can't imagine the strain I'm putting my gf through, yet she still puts up with it.

And to reply to your other post about postponing to January. I'm thinkin of doing the same. Benefits are that it's in 2015 and maybe the test can last an extra cycle so you can take an extra gap year to build up app. (I don't know if their gna completely phase it out by some time but I imagine it should last a while). Downside is you're prolly gna have to study while having classes.

Yeah the gym atmosphere makes you more productive to work out. Also makes it a better environment for people's sweat to condense on your skin (did anyone read this in TBR?!)

Sounds like my routine during the school year. Except instead of swimming I run. Yeah and not getting enough calories is exactly my problem as well. Worked out and lifted for years...diet has been crap so results were minimal haha. I imagine you're a decent size dude with that work ethic.

You don't get that high from lifting much compared to swimming huh? I would do cardio all day if my legs weren't so prone to injury.
I only really got into lifting about a year ago. Last summer was my first actual routine but since it was also my first time lifting on a schedule, it was pretty amateur. But now it's way better, and I find that snacks throughout the day on stuff like peanut butter, string cheese, glass of milk; helps out a ton. I weigh about 145 right now at around 7-8% fat.

And yeah man, something about the fast paced/full body movements that make me feel more energized

Yeah I know exactly what your talking about. More productive when you had the chance to burn the extra energy and socialize with friends. I'm thinking of doing that but everyone is gone for the summer :'(. You should thank your friends and family for the support when your done with all this. I can't imagine the strain I'm putting my gf through, yet she still puts up with it.

And to reply to your other post about postponing to January. I'm thinkin of doing the same. Benefits are that it's in 2015 and maybe the test can last an extra cycle so you can take an extra gap year to build up app. (I don't know if their gna completely phase it out by some time but I imagine it should last a while). Downside is you're prolly gna have to study while having classes.
there's also girls at the gym

Maybe I'm losing it, but have you guys considered how amazing it would feel if you took the MCAT and had a Slumdog Millionaire Jamal-esque experience where all the questions were things that you just happened to know? Even the random obscure stuff?

I am losing it.

Maybe I'm losing it, but have you guys considered how amazing it would feel if you took the MCAT and had a Slumdog Millionaire Jamal-esque experience where all the questions were things that you just happened to know? Even the random obscure stuff?

I am losing it.

I have considered that multiple times haha

I a lot of random facts, that may or not be helpful depending on the passage.

The new MCAT is made so that this type of thing never happens. Their increasing the number of questions to test your understanding more broadly.

TexasSurgeon: I rememeber reading that in TBR!! I thought it was pretty nasty so I tried passing over it quickly before it becomes something I think out at the gym lol.

I only really got into lifting about a year ago. Last summer was my first actual routine but since it was also my first time lifting on a schedule, it was pretty amateur. But now it's way better, and I find that snacks throughout the day on stuff like peanut butter, string cheese, glass of milk; helps out a ton. I weigh about 145 right now at around 7-8% fat.

And yeah man, something about the fast paced/full body movements that make me feel more energized

Peanut butter sandwich with slices of banana is my fav! I was exactly the same weight and fat % getting into college. Now now it's more like 170 20%. I wish I stuck to the 145 and 7% so I can just focus on clean bulking. You do any squats or deadlifts? When I was heavily invested in lifting I saw the most gains when I incorporated it into the routine. I think 165 pounds 7-8% would be ideal for a student. Any more will take a significant amount of money, food, and time to maintain.

there's also girls at the gym

LOL I would fail miserably. I would just look like a creeper sweating his balls off.

I am losing it.
I was just thinking this earlier!

Peanut butter sandwich with slices of banana is my fav! I was exactly the same weight and fat % getting into college. Now now it's more like 170 20%. I wish I stuck to the 145 and 7% so I can just focus on clean bulking. You do any squats or deadlifts? When I was heavily invested in lifting I saw the most gains when I incorporated it into the routine. I think 165 pounds 7-8% would be ideal for a student. Any more will take a significant amount of money, food, and time to maintain.

LOL I would fail miserably. I would just look like a creeper sweating his balls off.
Nice! Did you feel like you went up in body fat because you got older or did your workout routine change?

Yeah I squat stuff on leg day. Dead lifts are just a pain in the ass and I haven't done them for like almost a month. They're pretty risky if you don't have form down. Clean bulking is definitely a lot more work! But you gotta have like one cheat meal every week or something

Lolol it can be harder to approach girls while working out since they may just assume you're trying to and block you off

I did heavy lifting during the winter until May. I was 215 at 18% body fat. I then cue down to 195, I haven't measured my body fat yet at this weight, I'd guess around 10-11%.

Heavy compound lifting is what gets my weight up and down the easiest because it works so many muscles at once. Squats and deadlifts are my favorite in bulking season, I don't like them when I cut since I get exhausted during cutting season from a deficiency in calories.

I'm a naturally heavy dude, I've been an athlete my whole life so the gym is my domain.

Avenlea, that gif matched the moment so well I couldn't stop laughing.

Friends, comrades, amigos, vanner, amici, أصدقاء
I just want to say one thing

keep being awesome, im just going to collapse over here now

Yeah for the longest time I was strong but always a little chubby. About a year ago I cut hard and worked out a ton of cardio, actually going full otter mode for a bit. Thankfully ive balanced back out at just a straight up athletic build.

Yeah for the longest time I was strong but always a little chubby. About a year ago I cut hard and worked out a ton of cardio, actually going full otter mode for a bit. Thankfully ive balanced back out at just a straight up athletic build.

Haha I think "balancing out at a straight up athletic build" is something most guys want. I don't know why but I just found the way you said it funny.

And they say women talk about their bodies too much...
Actually, overall, I have heard waayyy more dudes obsess over body stuff than chicks. I think they've got that stereotype backwards.

And they say women talk about their bodies too much...
Actually, overall, I have heard waayyy more dudes obsess over body stuff than chicks. I think they've got that stereotype backwards.
Lolol
It's cause you girls can just eat a tub of Blue Bell and have it go to the right places. Guys don't really have that luxury

Alas, it only goes to the right places for so long. Or it skips over the right places entirely and leaves you wondering wth happened. :/

Speaking of, time to work up to my 5k! Woo!

I was fine with all the E&M and Circuits passages because I just took Physics 2 but the Optics ones were brutal. I've never been good at visualizing the optics stuff though, so I need to work on that. If there's one topic that I don't want to see a passage on, it's definitely optics.

A white tiger.

Really though, white, somewhat shaggy blonde hair, im going to guess glasses. And in moderately good shape.

I'm about 6 foot, 160 pounds, no glasses, short ivy league hair cut with the front usually gelled up, and in more than moderately good shape. Did you forgot that I come from a family of professional/competitive physique models and bodybuilders? :p

Honestly, memorize the conditions for each type of lens and mirror and you will find your life 100x easier. What type of problems are you struggling with specifically?

What exactly do you mean by conditions? I'd like to know as well since optics has been difficult for me.