SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have the newer one. But it says the file is too big to upload, it'd a 16 page PDF by TPR that guides you through the book.

How else can I put it up here?

Edit: poop420 found it but if anyone needs it on PDF and knows how I can transfer a large file let me know and I can get that for you.

Last edited:
I have the newer one. But it says the file is too big to upload, it'd a 16 page PDF by TPR that guides you through the book.

How else can I put it up here?

Edit: poop420 found it but if anyone needs it on PDF and knows how I can transfer a large file let me know and I can get that for you.
Prob. by drop box.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think meditation is brillaint. I use to meditate before I sleep, but to no noise. I stopped for about 4 or 5 months. I think that'd be a nice thing to pick up again and I'll give the "beta meditation" a shot.

Meditation also helps me focus. If you can keep your mind clear and be able to notice your mind wandering I think that will be a great asset to anyone taking the MCAT.

Edit: In regards to verbal, I will do the next set of passages tomorrow and see if I am actually getting my mind back together or if those passages were simply that easy. I'll keep everyone updated.

How did you learn how?

Taking AAMC 3 tomorrow. Have gone over all the content in the books but still not too shabby on the details. I think tonight is going to be spent reviewing all the notes I have taken so far. Any advice for those who have surpassed this part of Sn2?

Im going to try out beta binaural beats before my aamc tomorrow, Ive tried binaural beats before and they did do somerhing, so hey why not try?

How did you learn how?

I learned by practice. I think the biggest improvement comes in the begging as well.

What I did while meditating was catch myself wandering, if I wandered I would simply bring my mind back to stillness. Thinking about nothing is a difficult concept at first, in my opinion, but if you can still down and have to ability to notice your mind wandering then you are learning from meditation.

Oh! Breathing helps so much! Deep, slow breaths are key to start you off, after awhile your breathing becomes methodical and will come naturally.

If you have any more questions on meditation let me know, hopefully I will get back into it, it's a good habit I don't know how it slipped from me.

Reactions: 1 users
My clinical experience has been mostly with pediatrics. Check this guy out. Really inspiring.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC 7 (15/15/14) 44
First of all there were 3 or 4 orgo sections in bs. What the hell? And jesus did my random memory of medical shows help on a few questions there because some of those were things not studied

Reactions: 4 users
AAMC 7 (15/15/14) 44
First of all there were 3 or 4 orgo sections in bs. What the hell? And jesus did my random memory of medical shows help on a few questions there because some of those were things not studied

your scores are amazing man. unreal

Last edited:
Well.. ended up getting a 21 (7 PS- 8 Verbal - 6 BS) on AAMC 3. I am shocked to say the least. It is probably content but haven't reviewed the exam. Will be doing so in an hour or so. Test is in first week of September and am seriously considering moving my date back to January and enrolling in a Kaplan course.
I really need some support right now and I am feeling defeated cause well.. I got raped honestly. Towards the middle of verbal, I began spacing out. After that it was pretty much a blur. I am surprised that my highest score was physics (I absolutely have been complaining how much I hate physics but honestly it isnt bad as it was in TBR). so yeah... any advice? I have finished all content review but should have focused more on O-chem and bio (really underestimated that portion of the exam).

Im not kidding about the self hatred thing

Ill take this down in five minutes because sdn probs dont like this language

EDIT: Took it down. Basically though my notes consist of many expletives where I call myself pathetic and worthless over the silliest mistakes. Its how I vent and improve myself

Last edited:
Well.. ended up getting a 21 (7 PS- 8 Verbal - 6 BS) on AAMC 3. I am shocked to say the least. It is probably content but haven't reviewed the exam. Will be doing so in an hour or so. Test is in first week of September and am seriously considering moving my date back to January and enrolling in a Kaplan course.
I really need some support right now and I am feeling defeated cause well.. I got raped honestly. Towards the middle of verbal, I began spacing out. After that it was pretty much a blur. I am surprised that my highest score was physics (I absolutely have been complaining how much I hate physics but honestly it isnt bad as it was in TBR). so yeah... any advice? I have finished all content review but should have focused more on O-chem and bio (really underestimated that portion of the exam).
First of all establish your problems. Are they conceptaul, mathmatical, or nerves. Im guessing a good 60-70% at least will be nerves. After that, establish your weakpoints conceptually and hammer them in. Doing poorly on your first full length, ive seen posters go from 25-43 from start to finish on their FLs. Dont look at this as a failure. Look at it as an excellent opportunity to improve and focus your knowledge. The only way you can "fail" at this point is if you give up.

Reactions: 3 users
First of all establish your problems. Are they conceptaul, mathmatical, or nerves. Im guessing a good 60-70% at least will be nerves. After that, establish your weakpoints conceptually and hammer them in. Doing poorly on your first full length, ive seen posters go from 25-43 from start to finish on their FLs. Dont look at this as a failure. Look at it as an excellent opportunity to improve and focus your knowledge. The only way you can "fail" at this point is if you give up.

I REALLY thank you for the advice. Honestly, thanks man. I wish you much success in your prep going forward.

Im not kidding about the self hatred thing

Ill take this down in five minutes because sdn probs dont like this language

EDIT: Took it down. Basically though my notes consist of many expletives where I call myself pathetic and worthless over the silliest mistakes. Its how I vent and improve myself

That's not a healthy way to motivate yourself and will serve you poorly as life gets more stressful.

I know that everyone on this thread can get a 30+. You're harder workers than 90% of people I met. You guys deserve it. You are the type of people I would want my doctor to be
sQmCZAw.gif

Last edited:
That's not a healthy way to motivate yourself and will serve poorly as life gets more stressful.
whoever said it is healthy lol? I laugh at my remarks later, and it hammers it in in the moment.

In the moment I do it not because I feel worthless. I do it because I know that I have the capability of being so much better than I am. My goal in life is the pursuit of perfection, I know that it is not achievable, but as long as I keep driving myself towards it, I will always be able to improve on my past self. Movement is life. Stagnation only leads to death.

Last edited:

I would also recommend taking that test again untimed when you had some time to just clear your head. That way you can see which questions are content based/which questions were related to the traps/etc.

good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I know that everyone on this thread can get a 30+. You're harder workers than 90% of people I met. You guys deserve it. You are the type of people I would want my doctor to be
sQmCZAw.gif

One minute self-hatred with loads of explicatives to cute feel good comments :)

tumblr_n5fu66VDb71s7w3v0o1_500.gif

I got a 23 today! Yay for low 20 scores that make you want to crawl into a hole and contemplate wtf you did for your entire summer (seriously, I could've been drinking...or traveling...or sleeping...or working...anything but this, really) and will be pushing my date to early September.

But like it's been said in this thread, don't give up. That's half the battle. as I was walking back from the library it crossed my mind for a second about what would happen if I just didn't take the MCAT and actually just didn't go to medical school because of this test, how silly that would be. So realize you will get through this.

When I called my dad about my AAMC 3 score he tried to get me to enroll in a course, I shut that down real quick because I don't think it would help me personally, I know it's really a test taking thing. They're just gonna throw more content at you and I think you just need to practice, practice, practice. Print that score out and use it as motivation to get your butt to the library and do those practice problems. Set realistic goals and more your date if you need to, but doooooo not give up! Do not give up!

I'm kind of relieved to be pushing, honestly. Gonna miss out on welcome week festivities for my senior year, but my birthday is in two days and I'll get to actually enjoy it (lol). Plus I'm pretty sure my birthday present from my family will now be my rescheduling late fee

Lastly, let @TBRBiosadist's scores motivate you. Like whoa buddy, seriously, can you teach me how to full length?

tumblr_n8a4muUMVA1r8c4cyo1_500.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

I got a 23 today! Yay for low 20 scores that make you want to crawl into a hole and contemplate wtf you did for your entire summer (seriously, I could've been drinking...or traveling...or sleeping...or working...anything but this, really) and will be pushing my date to early September.

But like it's been said in this thread, don't give up. That's half the battle. as I was walking back from the library it crossed my mind for a second about what would happen if I just didn't take the MCAT and actually just didn't go to medical school because of this test, how silly that would be. So realize you will get through this.

When I called my dad about my AAMC 3 score he tried to get me to enroll in a course, I shut that down real quick because I don't think it would help me personally, I know it's really a test taking thing. They're just gonna throw more content at you and I think you just need to practice, practice, practice. Print that score out and use it as motivation to get your butt to the library and do those practice problems. Set realistic goals and more your date if you need to, but doooooo not give up! Do not give up!

I'm kind of relieved to be pushing, honestly. Gonna miss out on welcome week festivities for my senior year, but my birthday is in two days and I'll get to actually enjoy it (lol). Plus I'm pretty sure my birthday present from my family will now be my rescheduling late fee

Lastly, let @TBRBiosadist's scores motivate you. Like whoa buddy, seriously, can you teach me how to full length?

Beta wave meditation. Try it. I also average 300-350mg of caffiene per full length

hey during the semester i average only about 5 hours of sleep. price of getting so many tasty tasty research and clinical hours, club presidencies, jobs, advisory positions, and still time for the occasional party or drunken dnd/smashbros night

and my resting bp and pulse is 95/55 and 50 bpm. so caffien only brings me up to normal. And i only average 2 cups of coffee a day now on non test days

RPCHDLV.gif

6Blrn3m.gif

Last but not least:

jXGR5h9.gif

and my resting bp and pulse is 95/55 and 50 bpm. so caffien only brings me up to normal. And i only average 2 cups of coffee a day now on non test days

Not to scare you or anything but doc at work the other told me she had a friend in residency who had a resting heart rate that was super low because he was a runner and he literally overworked his heart so hard by the time he was 30 that he collapsed while running, went to the ER, and left with a pacemaker

Not to scare you or anything but doc at work the other told me she had a friend in residency who had a resting heart rate that was super low because he was a runner and he literally overworked his heart so hard by the time he was 30 that he collapsed while running, went to the ER, and left with a pacemaker
which is why i keep under 500mg a day and dont drink much caffiene before a workout.

Then again there are plenty of people with normal heart rates who that happens to

So I'm going to be a stereotypical Jamaican , which I dont do alot, but "dont worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright!" Hugs!
tumblr_m4wdhtYafo1rx0lvoo1_500.gif