crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2004
Visit site
Status
We're supposed to get 5-10inches of snow by tomorrow at 7am. I'm scheduled to work 5 miles away from my house from 8am-4pm. The city has been trying to save money but cutting back on the plows and salt this year. So the question is... do you go out there and try to go to work in that? It's not a terribly far distance, but what if I get stuck or in an accident or something? I know lots of people call off of work due to inclement weather, but it feels different when you know your work can't even operate without you there due to legal reasons. If I do call in, it would look really bad because I can't do it until 6:30am and they would have to find someone else to cover. I don't know exactly how likely it is that they will be able to find someone.

I've never been in this situation before. What would you guys do? And this might sound like a dumb question, but retail pharmacies like CVS or Walgreens don't ever close down for snow days right? :laugh:

About the Ads

AngelaCL

10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
You're only 5 miles away from your workplace? What makes you think that your employer would find anyone that would be *more* able to get to work than you?

Leave earlier. Take your cellphone. Keep kitty litter (for traction), a shovel, extra gloves, a scraper, and a blanket in your car just in case. If you do end up a little late to work due to weather, everyone can deal - but other than elementary-high schools who the hell gets to take a snow day, ever?

njac

15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status
Pharmacist
Ha! We got more snow than that one year and our dop called everyone with 4wd and arranged for a massive carpool. It was pretty funny. (Thankfully my 'ella gets around just fine in the snow)

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
You go to work until they tell you to close early. It has happened three times in the 8 years I have been with CVS. It actually happened on my very first day in a store. We closed at 6:30PM.

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Status
Pharmacist
well depends if you stay home, will you have hot cocoa and marshmellows?

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
This kind of made me LOL.

Back in the day, when I lived in Florida, during that dreadful summer where we had the pleasure of receiving 4 hurricanes (Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne...ugh), I would wake up 3 hours before my shift at a hospital to see where the hurricanes were in relation to where I had to go. I actually had to leave 2 hours earlier to get to my job for Jeanne, because had I waited to leave anytime after that, I would have been blown into the Gulf. And at that point in time, I was just a tech. You just do what you have to do.

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Hell... I'm staying home in that kind of weather... screw my patients and everyone else.. it's all about me..

Oh wait.. I work from home.. :smuggrin:

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Yeah, and you're also elusive at national meetings. For reals yo, get a job. :smuggrin:
Only because you don't know where to party with cool people... I wasn't elusive to all...:cool:

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Only because you don't know where to party with cool people... I wasn't elusive to all...:cool:
So I heard. I didn't have the beads to get into that party, because unlike the rest of the students, I had a journal club/patient presentation to work on for Thursday after the meeting, and my preceptor wanted it by, like, Monday. =\

About the Ads

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
So I heard. I didn't have the beads to get into that party, because unlike the rest of the students, I had a journal club/patient presentation to work on for Thursday after the meeting, and my preceptor wanted it by, like, Monday. =\
mmm...such a rookie.. you don't really need the beads.. as you approach the place, you can get the beads from people leaving. This old man had to leave the hotel at 4am.. but stayed out till 1am. Hindsight.. that was stupid.. :smuggrin:

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
mmm...such a rookie.. you don't really need the beads.. as you approach the place, you can get the beads from people leaving. This old man had to leave the hotel at 4am.. but stayed out till 1am. Hindsight.. that was stupid.. :smuggrin:
Well, you know, hindsight and all...

I spent that evening singing to my heart's delight at Howl at the Moon.

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Well, I may not be so elusive next year... but I'll have to charge admission..or y'all may have to RSVP for our presentation..

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
We don't allow drug reps.

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Just talk to the ladies at his booth. They'll fill you in on everything! Including hid golf schedule!
I'm gonna have to have a chat with those ladies... :slap:

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
About the Ads

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Don't forget tweed flat cap.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Wait wait wait...you were with the band?
yes, but not the kind of band you think. 80's metal band yes! Oh Gawd.. burn them pictures..

About the Ads