So Cali CC & Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosmicstarr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Southern Cali people doing pre-pharm at a community college?

I'm trying to enroll in Anatomy next semester and it's completely full at (3) different CCs that are reasonably close to my home and work. It seems Anatomy and Physio fill up so quickly. I guess it's from all those pre-nursing students. It's also odd that Anatomy doesn't have any prerequisites. It seems that anyone can just enroll, which seems strange.

I've been trying to find something at night since I work all day. Does anyone have experiences in trying to add these classes?

Members don't see this ad.

cosmicstarr said:

I'm trying to enroll in Anatomy next semester and it's completely full at (3) different CCs that are reasonably close to my home and work. It seems Anatomy and Physio fill up so quickly. I guess it's from all those pre-nursing students. It's also odd that Anatomy doesn't have any prerequisites. It seems that anyone can just enroll, which seems strange.

I've been trying to find something at night since I work all day. Does anyone have experiences in trying to add these classes?

I live near San Diego and the Physiology, Microbiology and Anatomy classes always fill up fast, mainly because of the pre-nursing students. However, there is a Bio 101 pre-req to get into Anatomy so maybe it is more likely that you will be able to add. Where do you live?

Hi Smilescali,

I'm near the Pomona area (eastern Los Angeles county). I've been checking other schools, and almost everything is full :(

It's difficult because Southern California traffic is so bad, even a school 20 miles away can take forever to get to. Most of these anatomy classes have minimum prereqs like English or none at all.

Oh well, too bad I don't have flexible working hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had the same problem several years ago, just try to look at all the colleges in the la system. From my experience, even if you are waitlisted, most of the teachers will take you. I ended up wait-listed in west la and pierce and took it at west la. I think the teachers know that a lot of people end up dropping the class, so they dont mind taking extra people in.........

cosmicstarr said:

Where in socal are you located in...because there are alot of CCs that have anatomy...you just have to try more schools or take other classes to get your units higher so you can register earlier. That's how I did it. Good Luck

cosmicstarr said:

I was running into the same problem like you this fall, but in Northern california. I ended up stalking classes at sf state and city college. Plus, I didn't register for ccsf until the last minute, that I had to show up to the first day of class to see if I could add. Of course, at sf state, the ta's would tell me that I have no hope. At ccsf, the instructor said to come back in a week, which I did. Luckily, from 60 people who still wanted to add, only 15 to 20 came back to see if they could add. In the end, the instructor added all of us since he knew people would drop the class (which is very true). :D

Persistence pays off. Just show up for the first day of class and stalk the teachers until you get in. Most likely, people who also want to add become discouraged. ;)

A lot of people drop anatomy. It is hard and there is no shortcut. It is like the weeder course for nursing I think. I was going to take it during the summer but dropped because I didnt want to spend my summer memorizing. I am taking it now. A lot of people drop it.

If a class is full, try checking it daily. I never had open classes by the time it was my enrollment date. But always got my classes before the first day of school. Yea, its not fun but it beats being one of the 10-20 students that have to sit on the floor the first day of class that want to get in.

cosmicstarr said:

Last spring I took Anatomy after I finished my undergrad degrees (turned out I didn't really need it), but I tried Mt. Sac (couldn't get in), tried Chaffey College (full), and then tried Fullerton College and got in. You have to get lucky though because we had 90 people show up to the class of 30 people. 20 were registered and they lottery off the other 10 spots. Well I luckily won. I would say, if you don't get into one of those, try Glendale Community College if you are close, you may be able to get in one of those. But just make sure you register with the school as soon as possible to get an early registration date.