So ,call me naive but...

Started by MIRPh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MIRPh

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
why is Rite Aid getting a bad rap ? I mean, I know in general, all chains r alike where pharmacists r overworked script generating machines with no real patient focus or care. But I see RA getting a worse rating (from the point of view of a prospective employer) than say CVS or Walgreens.
Is it do with the pay or the work pressure or stress from upper mgmt. or what??
Excuse my ignorance..Am I missing something?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, a lot of it will depend on your particular store and district. If you have a district with a terrible manager you will hate your job, no matter what chain it is, and the opposite applies to well-run stores. I really don't think you can generalize chain-wide on anything besides the computer system.

You see plenty of CVS bashing in these forums, particularly about metrics and scores. You also have posters like Old Timer who seem to enjoy their job and not need to worry much about these issues because of a well run store and district. In my area, we are on the border of two Rite Aid districts. I get the impression that those working in one district are not very happy, while the other district seems to have happier employees.

Even if you assume that Rite Aid is doing the worst financially, it is unlikely that all of the stores would close. Worst case scenario: similar to Fay's, Eckerd, and others, the name on the building just changes.
 
Rite Aid has been in a gradual decline since 1999 when the accounting scandal broke and Martin Grass was ousted. They never really recovered. Their bad reputation has led them to become a repository for the lesser quality pharmacists during the last decade. They also extensively went overseas to fill their ranks. They have employed desperation management which has destroyed their corporate culture. They will eventually be broken up.
 
Afer being at Target forthe first day of my retail rotation and comparing it to Rite Aid, I can say that the gift cards, flu shot quotas and other silly things that rite aid has (e.g. not deleting Rxs or score goes down) while really having not enough staff to do all this, make it very inefficient. Target's only metric seems to be its customer satisfaction survey, and it's much better staffed. The employees are happier and the store is more efficient.
 
Thanks guys, I get it.. RA maybe a sinking ship:scared:
But is it to say no one's applying? Just curious😕
 
i know a lot of pharmacists who were not happy at all working there over the years. i think the way they managed their pharmacy operations wasn't supportive of pharmacists morale. so over time they got a bad name. the layout of their stores is very sloppy and dark. it is not welcoming to a person wanting to spend money. so they are losing in the long run.

cvs and walgreens have become so powerful that they are destroying all competition
 
i know a lot of pharmacists who were not happy at all working there over the years. i think the way they managed their pharmacy operations wasn't supportive of pharmacists morale. so over time they got a bad name. the layout of their stores is very sloppy and dark. it is not welcoming to a person wanting to spend money. so they are losing in the long run.

cvs and walgreens have become so powerful that they are destroying all competition

which is more powerful, cvs or walgreens?
 
which is more powerful, cvs or walgreens?

Definitely CVS. From a customer's point of view, I'd rather shop at CVS. From an employee's point of view, it all depends on if you have good middle management or not. For example, I loved my retail rotation at a CVS in Harlem and I could tell that the pharmacists and the techs loved working there as well. However, I hated my job at a CVS in Long Island.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely CVS. From a customer's point of view, I'd rather shop at CVS. From an employee's point of view, it all depends on if you have good middle management or not. For example, I loved my retail rotation at a CVS in Harlem and I could tell that the pharmacists and the techs loved working there as well. However, I hated my job at a CVS in Long Island.

And I don't know that I've ever been in a CVS... I guess I have but I definitely don't shop there. Wags is WAY more powerful here. They are on every corner. There is no answer to the "more powerful" question. It just depends.
 
And I don't know that I've ever been in a CVS... I guess I have but I definitely don't shop there. Wags is WAY more powerful here. They are on every corner. There is no answer to the "more powerful" question. It just depends.

I think it really depends on the market. Generally for any market, CVS and Wags is always top 2. CVS definitely has more power in NY and Long island. Wags might have more share now in the city since they took over Duane Reade.

In terms of company shares, Wags is worth 1168 B. CVS is worth 1799.11b. Of course that is CVS and Caremark together though.