So Curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soon2BENT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so curious about the unfilled positions! Am I alone?

Members don't see this ad.

MGH has 3-4 unfilled.
Market correction in every sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins had at least 1 spot open.

A rumor is going around that these NY schools have openings. NY Methodist Hospital-NY ,NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY ,Nassau Univ Med Ctr-NY ,SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY , SUNY Upstate Med University ,Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY.

I don't know if scramblers are allowed to post these. I am not a scrambler... I am posting things that I've heard around the hospital.

I have also heard rumors that Rush, Iowa, Vermont, UConn, MCG and a program in Washington. Again, just rumors ;)

hey, badgas,

thanks for all the updated information.

I have also heard rumors that Rush, Iowa, Vermont, UConn, MCG and a program in Washington. Again, just rumors ;)

Hear any hunches on which program in Washington?

Hear any hunches on which program in Washington?

The only thing I know is that it's in the state w/ a Pacific ocean near it. I also heard MCW had 5 spots open :eek: The last rumor I will leave everyone with is that I heard at noon this AM that there were actually 20 spots available.... not the 52 on the list.

The only thing I know is that it's in the state w/ a Pacific ocean near it. I also heard MCW had 5 spots open :eek: The last rumor I will leave everyone with is that I heard at noon this AM that there were actually 20 spots available.... not the 52 on the list.

Very strange. So programs only openned less than half of their spots to the scramble? I guess they are looking to fill those advanced spots outside the match/scramble...:confused:

A rumor is going around that these NY schools have openings. NY Methodist Hospital-NY ,NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY ,Nassau Univ Med Ctr-NY ,SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY , SUNY Upstate Med University ,Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY.

I don't know if scramblers are allowed to post these. I am not a scrambler... I am posting things that I've heard around the hospital.

My friend had to scramble and he told me that stony brook had like 6 unfilled positions, which i found surprising. i think he said upstate had 7 or 8 unfilled positions (not too suprised) and downstate had 2

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard iowa had several spots and MCG and Kansas (witchita) had a couple.

Just wanted to clarify. 20 programs did not fill. 52 spots unfilled in these programs.

I accepted a prematch offer and therefore withdrew from the match. The NRMP wrote me and said that I have access to the unfilled postions (I checked and I do) just in case I was going to scramble. Can I get into trouble for posting the programs that did not fill? Be honest now;)

It can't be that taboo: there's a thread on the ERAS forum with a link to some of the unfilled spots (not anesthesiology though).

EDIT: As per SDN Mod Kimberli Cox (post #9 in this thread):

"We don't have any agreement with the NRMP, and have discussed this on the Admin boards. There is no problem disclosing the information here as far as SDN is concerned."

C'mon, you know you want to...:thumbup:

i'm more curious as to what schools offered spots outside of the match?

i'm jealous!

how does one prematch? what does that mean? thanks!

so 20 unmatched programs and i count 17 rumors: uw, mgh, ny methodist, cornell, nassau, suny brooklyn, suny upstate, stonybrook, rush, iowa, vermont, uconn, mcg, mcw, jhu, dartmouth, kansas.... that leaves three unaccounted for unfilled programs. any guesses?

pleasantly surprised for me next year that mcg didn't fill as it is high on my list.

so 20 unmatched programs and i count 17 rumors: uw, mgh, ny methodist, cornell, nassau, suny brooklyn, suny upstate, stonybrook, rush, iowa, vermont, uconn, mcg, mcw, jhu, dartmouth, kansas.... that leaves three unaccounted for unfilled programs. any guesses?

pleasantly surprised for me next year that mcg didn't fill as it is high on my list.

That may not be a good thing. I can assure you that they will correct the problem for next year. It's most likely the fact that MGH thought they were to good to rank applicants instead of people not wanting to be there.

Can someone post the unfilled positions on Thursday, if not now? I too am curious...

It's most likely the fact that MGH thought they were to good to rank applicants instead of people not wanting to be there.

Well, not necessarily.
I interviewed at MGH and personally ranked them pretty low.
I also spoke to a few people who said the same thing - got a bad vibe at MGH and would be ranking them low.
So it might not just be the program not raking enough applicants, it might be that the applicants got the more preferred spots!
Why would a program bother and interview so many people only to rank a small number for the match? Most of the programs rank nearly everyone that they interview.

Just wanted to clarify. 20 programs did not fill. 52 spots unfilled in these programs.

I accepted a prematch offer and therefore withdrew from the match. The NRMP wrote me and said that I have access to the unfilled postions (I checked and I do) just in case I was going to scramble. Can I get into trouble for posting the programs that did not fill? Be honest now;)

Go ahead and post it!

That may not be a good thing. I can assure you that they will correct the problem for next year. It's most likely the fact that MGH thought they were to good to rank applicants instead of people not wanting to be there.

was actually MCG that i was happy to hear supposedly not fill, not mgh

4 UW, 4 MGH, 1 JHU, 1 Dartmouth, 2 Cornell, 3 Rush

That's what I have heard.

It's sad to hear about UW, because I have a good shot at landing there.:(

I hope that they are able to snag some decent applicants to fill those spots.

btw, I did think that the Seattle programs might have a hard time filling because the weather was ridiculously horrible and out of character during the interview season this year... but 4 spots???:confused:

was actually MCG that i was happy to hear supposedly not fill, not mgh
Just because they didn't happen to fill this year doesn't really mean much.

Does MGH frequently not match or is this year exceptional. Everyone I know who interviewed there had only negative things to say...very cocky program so maybe good for them. I know it was good for UCSF not to match (at least good for the residents) last year, made them really reevaluate and make some positive changes. They matched fully this year it sounds like. Anyone hear different?

I know that UCSF was one of those programs that interviewed about 80 but only ranked about 1/2 of those. Finally bit them in the butt. This year they interviewed roughly the same but ranked a bunch more. I agree that it is silly to interview a bunch and not rank very many of them.

Does MGH frequently not match or is this year exceptional. Everyone I know who interviewed there had only negative things to say...very cocky program so maybe good for them. I know it was good for UCSF not to match (at least good for the residents) last year, made them really reevaluate and make some positive changes. They matched fully this year it sounds like. Anyone hear different?

I know that UCSF was one of those programs that interviewed about 80 but only ranked about 1/2 of those. Finally bit them in the butt. This year they interviewed roughly the same but ranked a bunch more. I agree that it is silly to interview a bunch and not rank very many of them.

If the numbers are right, then yes, UCSF filled. And so did EVERY other program in the west except for UW...

It's sad to hear about UW, because I have a good shot at landing there.:(

I hope that they are able to snag some decent applicants to fill those spots.

btw, I did think that the Seattle programs might have a hard time filling because the weather was ridiculously horrible and out of character during the interview season this year... but 4 spots???:confused:

If you are referring to the constant rain as bad weather, I hate to tell you that is the norm for Seattle. I actually really liked Seattle when I was there.

UW carries a strong name. I think the reason they fail to fill every year is because of their reputation of not taking good care/appreciating their residents. My impression while I was there is that it has gotten a bit better, but there is still a long ways to go (for example, some of the residents complained about how the health insurance is lacking, about the lack of food during on-call, some of them looked really tired, etc.). There really is no reason for such a large institution, with such a big name to treat it's residents like this.

All in all, I think you will get very good training if you go here and things may improve in the future. You never know, maybe I'll be going there too. We'll have to wait until thursday, I guess.

i'm more curious as to what schools offered spots outside of the match?

i'm jealous!

Tbone,

I was offered a pre-match contract by Hopkins but had to decline b/c of my wife's refusal to live in Baltimore. Add JHU to Michigan, I'm sure there are many others out there.

Well, not necessarily.
I interviewed at MGH and personally ranked them pretty low.
I also spoke to a few people who said the same thing - got a bad vibe at MGH and would be ranking them low.
So it might not just be the program not raking enough applicants, it might be that the applicants got the more preferred spots!
Why would a program bother and interview so many people only to rank a small number for the match? Most of the programs rank nearly everyone that they interview.

Ditto...just not the right place for me

If you are referring to the constant rain as bad weather, I hate to tell you that is the norm for Seattle. I actually really liked Seattle when I was there.

UW carries a strong name. I think the reason they fail to fill every year is because of their reputation of not taking good care/appreciating their residents. My impression while I was there is that it has gotten a bit better, but there is still a long ways to go (for example, some of the residents complained about how the health insurance is lacking, about the lack of food during on-call, some of them looked really tired, etc.). There really is no reason for such a large institution, with such a big name to treat it's residents like this.

All in all, I think you will get very good training if you go here and things may improve in the future. You never know, maybe I'll be going there too. We'll have to wait until thursday, I guess.

This winter was very uncharacteristic for Seattle. See multiple snow storms (did you see the Seahawks-Packer Monday night game? or the game where Quest was so flooded that the start was delayed?), wind storms, long runs of sub-freezing temps, and 2 major power outages. I have spent the majority of my life around those parts including undergrad at UW, and this is not anywhere near the norm...

Tbone,

I was offered a pre-match contract by Hopkins but had to decline b/c of my wife's refusal to live in Baltimore. Add JHU to Michigan, I'm sure there are many others out there.

I was offered pre-match by Cleveland Clinic, but had to declince b/c of my wife's refusal to live in Cleveland.

How strong were your applications (grades, scores, LORs, etc.)? And, was this done before the application/interviewing season started, or during it? Finally, were you looking for PGY-1 (categorical) or PGY-2 (advanced) in 2007 or 2008?

I am looking for a CA-1 position for July 2008, and any tips and information that you can provide is much appreciated! :D

Azcom? Just curious - Other than Rush, any other Chicago or Michigan/ Detroit programs not fill? I don't think its unethical for you to tell us that - :D

How strong were your applications (grades, scores, LORs, etc.)? And, was this done before the application/interviewing season started, or during it? Finally, were you looking for PGY-1 (categorical) or PGY-2 (advanced) in 2007 or 2008?

I am looking for a CA-1 position for July 2008, and any tips and information that you can provide is much appreciated! :D

I think they are referring to the D.O. loophole where a program can and often does offer a position before the match to strong DO candidates without technically violating the NRMP rules. It occurs during the interview season and it is a mixed blessing. Often, good candidates are offered positions at programs that may have been 2nd, 3rd, or lower on their eventual rank list. They are then forced to choose between the bird in the hand or taking a shot at their favorite program with the possibility of not getting it and dropping even lower down their list or possibly even not matching at all if it is a competitive year(which no one REALLY knows until after match day).

Somebody with a better knowledge of the wording of the NRMP rules would have to say why it applies to DOs but not MDs. I knew the phrasing of the rules at one time, but I can't recall it now. If you are offered a prematch position and you are an MD, the program is in violation of the NRMP rules and at risk for getting kicked out of the right to participate in the match. Seems like a double standard, but it is what it is.

FMGs can also be prematched for a residency spot.

I think they are referring to the D.O. loophole where a program can and often does offer a position before the match to strong DO candidates without technically violating the NRMP rules. It occurs during the interview season and it is a mixed blessing. Often, good candidates are offered positions at programs that may have been 2nd, 3rd, or lower on their eventual rank list. They are then forced to choose between the bird in the hand or taking a shot at their favorite program with the possibility of not getting it and dropping even lower down their list or possibly even not matching at all if it is a competitive year(which no one REALLY knows until after match day).

Somebody with a better knowledge of the wording of the NRMP rules would have to say why it applies to DOs but not MDs. I knew the phrasing of the rules at one time, but I can't recall it now. If you are offered a prematch position and you are an MD, the program is in violation of the NRMP rules and at risk for getting kicked out of the right to participate in the match. Seems like a double standard, but it is what it is.

Allo MSIVs are considered "US seniors." DO MSIVs/FMGs/those with degrees already (basically everyone else) are considered "independent applicants." programs are allowed to offer independent applicants outside the match spots, which is the loophole that you mentioned. programs like to do this because they can hand select whoever they want. however, the statement that you made about it being a mixed blessing is definitely true for the applicant.

So, I was just wondering if there was a way to find out for sure which programs did not fill this year? I am just curious.

I don't think posting up the list of schools that did not fill is against nrmp policy, so if anyone has access to the list, it would be nice of them to post it here. I think we all are kind of curious.

Thanks

Sorry everyone- I didn't think this was going to be such a big deal. I did prematch at the University of Michigan and was offered the spot in mid December. Its true that DOs/FMGs applicants can be offered spots outside the match as we are independant applicants. tbone14- I assume you've matched for a prelim year and will be applying for a CA-1 next year. If this is the case, you can also accept a prematch offer next year. Michigan and Johns Hopkins, I think, are the only places that offer prematch spots in anesthesia.

The reason I did not post the unfilled spots is because of the uncertainty to this being a violation with the NRMP. I don't believe it to be (from what I have read), but I didn't want to take a big chance since I've made it this far. Can you blame me? Here is some vague info. As of right now, there are 12 programs still unfilled, 29 spots at these programs. Its a revolving list as applicants are currently scrambling (was 20 programs with 52 spots in the beginning). Rush was the only place unfilled in the chicago/detroit area. Programs in Georgia, Illinois, kansas, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont, and Washington remain unfilled as of right now.

Unless you can show me a link proving it is not a violation of NRMP policy to post the results, I won't post anymore info. Sorry

Sorry everyone- I didn't think this was going to be such a big deal. I did prematch at the University of Michigan and was offered the spot in mid December. Its true that DOs/FMGs applicants can be offered spots outside the match as we are independant applicants. tbone14- I assume you've matched for a prelim year and will be applying for a CA-1 next year. If this is the case, you can also accept a prematch offer next year. Michigan and Johns Hopkins, I think, are the only places that offer prematch spots in anesthesia.

The reason I did not post the unfilled spots is because of the uncertainty to this being a violation with the NRMP. I don't believe it to be (from what I have read), but I didn't want to take a big chance since I've made it this far. Can you blame me? Here is some vague info. As of right now, there are 12 programs still unfilled, 29 spots at these programs. Its a revolving list as applicants are currently scrambling (was 20 programs with 52 spots in the beginning). Rush was the only place unfilled in the chicago/detroit area. Programs in Georgia, Illinois, kansas, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont, and Washington remain unfilled as of right now.

Unless you can show me a link proving it is not a violation of NRMP policy to post the results, I won't post anymore info. Sorry

So is this not true?

http://gasforums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=380478

I am wondering as well which thread is correct....

Since the NRMP also reported 52 unfilled spots, I would tend to think that Azcomstud is correct.