• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Surferboy

basileus
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So, if by chance my greatgrandfather was a former dean of a well-known med school, would that help give me an edge in the admissions process even though he is deceased?

Oh btw...this would be UCSF so I don't think this wouldn't help me at all considering everyone accepted there has perfect track records. My greatgrandfather is my idol as he was one of the forerunners in anesthesia through his research and creation of an anesthesia department at UCSF as well. My grandfather is also one of my heroes as he is a main author/editor of one of the two main anesthesia textbooks. I hope to become an anesthesiologist as well and as a sophomore I'm researching with anesthesiologists in the OR at UCLA. I'm just wondering whether legacy and tradition have anything to do with med school admissions. Obviously I'm not relying on it. I'm working my tail off because it's rewarding.

docdude

10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
So, if by chance my greatgrandfather was a former dean of a well-known med school, would that help give me an edge in the admissions process even though he is deceased?

Oh btw...this would be UCSF so I don't think this wouldn't help me at all considering everyone accepted there has perfect track records. My greatgrandfather is my idol as he was one of the forerunners in anesthesia through his research and creation of an anesthesia department at UCSF as well. My grandfather is also one of my heroes as he is a main author/editor of one of the two main anesthesia textbooks. I hope to become an anesthesiologist as well and as a sophomore I'm researching with anesthesiologists in the OR at UCLA. I'm just wondering whether legacy and tradition have anything to do with med school admissions. Obviously I'm not relying on it. I'm working my tail off because it's rewarding.

Just keep up the good track record, definitely keep working your butt off outside of school, and your connection may give you a little edge over similar looking applicants. But I wouldn't horde it over them (they seem very upright - even told us not to contact anyone on the admissions committee after our interview), it's information i'd just drop a line about at the interview.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
it's information i'd just drop a line about at the interview.
Agreed. The UCSF connection will only really impress at UCSF, and they don't have a secondary. So you can drop mention of it at an interview.

But I'd do so gently.

About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
You might want to work your great-grandfather (do you have personal memories of him or is it only a point of pride in your heritage?) into your personal statement because, it appears, he is your inspiration for pursuing research experiences in anesthesiology, etc. However, it would also be a good idea to note the specific attributes of anesthesiology as a discipline that attract you to it and express the opinion that while you are most interested in it, you are open to the idea that you might find another area of medicine to be more to your liking once you begin your clerkships.

Surferboy

basileus
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't want to make an impression that I am backing on that connection to help me. They are truly honorable men and great examples of caring doctors- the award for clinical excellence at UCSF is even named after my greatgrandfather. I just hope to achieve what they did.

LizzyM- Thanks for the advice. I don't have any memories of him but I obviously have heard enough stories about him. I learned a great deal about him from a professor of anesthesia at UCSF when I was thinking about researching there. My grandfather on the other hand has really taken an active role in teaching me about the profession and we talk regularly about my current OR case experiences and research. I started researching this quarter and am working 12 hours a week. I'm working on two projects that require knowledge of TEE imaging during liver transplants and cardiacpulmonary bypass surgeries so I'm learning a great deal about the role of the anesthesiologist.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Not sure it does. My family name is all over buildings and businesses, especially in Michigan but it obviously didn't help me.:D

But it wouldn't hurt to talk about your experience with/knowledge of your G-F-F and how it honed your interests in medicine, although its a fine line of "mentioning it" and expecting the legacy to make a difference (and lording it over others).

Perhaps if your family name is unique, it will come up at UCSF and then you can work it into conversation.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.