So glad someone finally wrote about this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Interesting article. I think institutions should make it a point to have conversations surrounding cultural sensitivity and inclusion. There should be conversations and classes taught on how to engage, and include, students/patients/patient's family members/colleagues who may differ from you. It goes beyond race, and it saddens me because microaggressions are VERY real. But the thing is: microaggressions are just that... micro. Sometimes a person may not be aware of insulting language or behavior, because they were never made aware of it. So how can we expect a physician to stand up for us when they're unaware of the offense? On the other hand, is it my job as a medical student to educate them? Nah, I don't think so... but I definitely feel as though the institutions should make a better effort on this front.