So how do MD/MBA programs work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phattestlewt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how the FAQ is a deadlink, i was hoping to get some questions via this thread.

How do MD/ MBA programs generally work? Do you get an MBA after an MBA?

When you apply to medical school, do you request a joint application to the business school?

What sort of requirements beyond those of the traditional medical school requirements are necessary to be accepted into an MD/MBA program.

I apologize if there is a FAQ with answers to these questions.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing as how the FAQ is a deadlink, i was hoping to get some questions via this thread.

How do MD/ MBA programs generally work? Do you get an MBA after an MBA?

When you apply to medical school, do you request a joint application to the business school?

What sort of requirements beyond those of the traditional medical school requirements are necessary to be accepted into an MD/MBA program.

I apologize if there is a FAQ with answers to these questions.

Thanks for your help!
Hello!

These are good questions that I asked myself a while back. The MD MBA programs usually depend on the school you are going into. For example, some schools will have an extra year for the MBA degree, while others will somehow integrate it into a 4 year program so that you can get your MBA the same time you achieve your MD.

On the AMCAs application, you will get a choice of checking whether or not you would like to do a joint program, depending on whether or not the medical school has an accredited business school that can offer that MBA.

Some schools (most actually) require a GMAT score, and most schools require you to apply to the MBA program as a third year in the medical school. However, some schools, like Tufts, allows you to apply to the MBA without a GMAT score. For Tufts specifically, you have to be accepted, and then your application will be considered for the MBA portion. So, you will actually know whether or not you made the MD/MBA degree program before you start medical school.

I hope this helps; good luck!

At my alma mater, the timing went 3 years MD + 1 year MBA + 1 year MD. Applications are submitted during 3rd year and require a GMAT. My understanding is that acceptance was practically guaranteed.