So how do they confirm URM status? And how do my stats look for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I was on another forum website and someone mentioned this:

SDN is a mix of privilege, delusions and where dreams go to die. Its sad that while there is valuable information on there, the hostile environment is disturbing and unless you hide who you are, minority students already say that its "not meant for them".

Reactions: 1 users
Everywhere I go, if I see dreamadream there she always hijacks the thread and steers it towards some racial topic. It's very tiring. What are you trying to do exactly? Picking fights and arguing with people isn't going to convince them to your point of view.

Also, poverty is not unique to blacks. There are plenty of hispanic, asian, white people who are impoverished as well. So, let's just please stop with the race baiting.

Reactions: 1 users
So I applied this year with your numbers (3.4/3.2/35) and was successful even though Im a middle SES white dude. Actually got 9 MD interviews and was accepted to 4 allo schools. So with those numbers it CAN be done. But it is by no means guaranteed, and you'll have to apply very broadly. DO is much more realistic. Remember that if the goal is to become a doctor, you may have to spend several years living somewhere you dont like (be it MD or DO). If you craft a very strong personal statement and apply broadly to a large list of schools, you will have a strong chance.

White guy: I got a 35 and 3.4 sgpa and I got into a ton of medical schools!

SDN: good job white guy, you're amazing! You give me hope!

Black girl: I have a 35 and 3.4 sgpa and I got into a ton of medical schools!

SDN: I hate your guts, you affirmative action admit. You don't deserve to be there and I should have had your spot.

I don't want to make this a race war or anything, but I feel very bitter that you can just come in with what SDN considers "low scores" ( really, your scores are pretty good) and no one questions your intelligence, or how much you deserve what you got because of your race,

Reactions: 8 users

SDN: I hate your guts, you affirmative action admit. You don't deserve to be there and I should have had your spot.

I don't want to make this a race war or anything, but I feel very bitter that you can just come in with what SDN considers "low scores" ( really, your scores are pretty good) and no one questions your intelligence, or how much you deserve what you got because of your race,

With all due respect, I was giving the OP advice since his numbers are close to mine and it seemed relevant. The only reason I included my race and stuff is because since he's URM he's likely to fare even better than I did (just look at the aamc charts for admission stats by race).

Frankly most of the people that I see who frequent SDN don't really have anything against AA or URMs. It's usually some dark troll who comes crawling from the shadows to rain on everyone's parade or something. I can only speak for myself but I don't question the intelligence of anyone who gets a little boost from being URM, mostly because there's so much more to admissions than intelligence. URM status is relevant to provide context and accurate advice, but not much else in my opinion.

Out of curiosity and not from hostility, isn't your dad a physician?

Yea he was, and that definitely played a role. But he never practiced while I was alive, and died when I was a little kid.

SDN IS FULL OF PRIVILEGE, IF YOU'RE A MINORITY "THIS SITE ISN'T MEANT FOR YOU" and I quote from a member on another forum I was on. I'm starting to see true colors.

This soooooo true, SDN is full of privilege.

Members don't see this ad :)
This soooooo true, SDN is full of privilege.

Meh I wouldn't say full of privilege. More just a vocal minority. Most important thought I feel like we get some pretty solid debates in although not all the points made will align with your point of view.

There's a lot of good advice to be found here and ignoring it just because there are some "privileged" people around is kinda like chopping off your nose to spite your face lol

Reactions: 1 user
Meh I wouldn't say full of privilege. More just a vocal minority. Most important thought I feel like we get some pretty solid debates in although not all the points made will align with your point of view.

There's a lot of good advice to be found here and ignoring it just because there are some "privileged" people around is kinda like chopping off your nose to spite your face lol

I didn't really anything about ignoring advice.
Everyone sh ould use any good advice they can get. Ok I'll stop,
Pussyfooting around it. SDN is filled with a significant percentage of racists. I am not attacking you. I think your stats are great, and so on. I am just pointing out that if you were URM, instead of the accolades you receive, you would be scoffed at and told you didn't deserve 9 interviews and in fact stole the spot from some hardworking white or Asian whose spot you took.

If you went to make a "what are my chances thread?" people would simply hear the word "urm" and stop giving you actionable advice,
So, I would say because of the quality of discourse on SDN, URMS are not only getting worse advice, but we have to wade through a lot of nonsense to get there.

Once again, i can't help feeling some resentment that you are able to trumpet your achievements on sdn and you get the congrats and pats on the back that you deserve, while some other hispanic kid who perhaps worked equally as hard gets labeled an AA admit. It's not fair.

But then again, when has life ever been fair for minorities?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
With all due respect, I was giving the OP advice since his numbers are close to mine and it seemed relevant. The only reason I included my race and stuff is because since he's URM he's likely to fare even better than I did (just look at the aamc charts for admission stats by race).

Frankly most of the people that I see who frequent SDN don't really have anything against AA or URMs. It's usually some dark troll who comes crawling from the shadows to rain on everyone's parade or something. I can only speak for myself but I don't question the intelligence of anyone who gets a little boost from being URM, mostly because there's so much more to admissions than intelligence. URM status is relevant to provide context and accurate advice, but not much else in my opinion.

Yea he was, and that definitely played a role. But he never practiced while I was alive, and died when I was a little kid.

Sorry about your loss, I know it's been a while but I couldn't help saying it.

I have to beg to differ that it's just a few SDNErs,

hell there's a ten pg long thread asking whether there's a disadvantage in being an asian and affirmative action and it's not the questioning of AA that I dislike, it's the tone, the assumption that urm kids are less, or unworthy that persistently bothers me, Hell, AA as a policy is questionable and I welcome the debate about it. it's long overdue.

but this degrading of urms as people, doctors and students, should not stand.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry about your loss, I know it's been a while but I couldn't help saying it.

I have to beg to differ that it's just a few SDNErs,

hell there's a ten pg long thread asking whether there's a disadvantage in being an asian and affirmative action and it's not the questioning of AA that I dislike, it's the tone, the assumption that urm kids are less, or unworthy that persistently bothers me, Hell, AA as a policy is questionable and I welcome the debate about it. it's long overdue.

but this degrading of urms as people, doctors and students, should not stand.
It's a 30+ page thread. I never participate in URM threads as I'm not from the US, but even I know the level of vitriol those threads bring out against URMs. And it is not by drive-by trolls, but by long-time posters.

When discussions about race occur, people never want to believe that the views they hold are prejudiced, and they will go to great lengths to justify their views, no matter how regressive those views are. Besides, pointing out that a person is racist invariably leads to that person taking offence at the accusation of racism, instead of critically evaluating his/her ideas. You're fighting a losing battle. It's one that should be fought, though.

I'll retreat into lurking now.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't really anything about ignoring advice.
Everyone sh ould use any good advice they can get. Ok I'll stop,
Pussyfooting around it. SDN is filled with a significant percentage of racists. I am not attacking you. I think your stats are great, and so on. I am just pointing out that if you were URM, instead of the accolades you receive, you would be scoffed at and told you didn't deserve 9 interviews and in fact stole the spot from some hardworking white or Asian whose spot you took.

If you went to make a "what are my chances thread?" people would simply hear the word "urm" and stop giving you actionable advice,
So, I would say because of the quality of discourse on SDN, URMS are not only getting worse advice, but we have to wade through a lot of nonsense to get there.

Once again, i can't help feeling some resentment that you are able to trumpet your achievements on sdn and you get the congrats and pats on the back that you deserve, while some other hispanic kid who perhaps worked equally as hard gets labeled an AA admit. It's not fair.

But then again, when has life ever been fair for minorities?

Life is never going to be fair in one aspect or another when compared to another person regardless of race. That being said, what happened to just shrugging off other people's hatred? Who cares if people question your 9 interviews and 9 acceptances because of URM status? Why do you need their congratulations and approvals? You got in... you're going to be a doctor ... you've achieved your goal. They can bitch and moan all they want and you're still going to be a doctor. Ignore them, just move on with your life. I don't understand why kids these days feel the need to be liked and receive approval from everyone for everything they do. You're only accountable to yourself and your family. Everyone else can go **** themselves. Seriously, people just need to grow thicker skin and stop caring about what other people think about them.

Sorry for the rant.

Life is never going to be fair in one aspect or another when compared to another person regardless of race. That being said, what happened to just shrugging off other people's hatred? Who cares if people question your 9 interviews and 9 acceptances because of URM status? Why do you need their congratulations and approvals? You got in... you're going to be a doctor ... you've achieved your goal. They can bitch and moan all they want and you're still going to be a doctor. Ignore them, just move on with your life. I don't understand why kids these days feel the need to be liked and receive approval from everyone for everything they do. You're only accountable to yourself and your family. Everyone else can go **** themselves. Seriously, people just need to grow thicker skin and stop caring about what other people think about them.

Sorry for the rant.

Of course life is never fair, but I find it interesting that when I point out specific things that are wrong, especially when ti has to do with race, I'm told to
"grow thicker skin" and "deal with it". It assumes that my life is ending because of all these comments or that I am so mentally disturbed my life cannot go on.

This is of course not true, but what is true is that my concerns and complaints are minimized as "whining".

And I don't understand that.

If someone cuts you in line and you say "this is wrong, you cannot do that". No one tells you to stop whining despite the fact that this is a completely trivial problem. But complain about racism, how you are continually undercut and thought of as less deserving and worthy due to the color of your skin, how store managers follow you as you shop, and you are a "whiner", who doesn't have a "tough skin" to deal with these things.

I can only assume you regularly tell anyone who complains to you about any minor life annoyance to "get over it" and "who cares?" Right?

or do you try to solve the problems?

I've waited years to say anything for fear of seeming like some kind of race baiter or whiner or whatever, but I can't ignore it any longer.

SDN has a race problem and I'm tired of it being minimized or ignored or whatever.

It needs to be fixed not hand waived away.

Reactions: 2 users
What do you identify as? If you identify as Mexican, then sure check the box. BUT, if you're all of a sudden aware of your Mexican culture with the hopes of getting an "URM boost," then that is dishonest and I don't recommend that you select the box.

Also, location is not a good enough reason to discount DO schools, and I would encourage you to do more research on their philosophy.

SDN has a race problem and I'm tired of it being minimized or ignored or whatever.

Unfortunately it's hard not to see the issues existing on SDN lately (and this is coming from someone who has been around the site for almost a decade) as being reflective of the issues of society as a whole... particularly among today's college students.

Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately it's hard not to see the issues existing on SDN lately (and this is coming from someone who has been around the site for almost a decade) as being reflective of the issues of society as a whole... particularly among today's college students.
The "alt-right" or "radical right" is very popular with the youngsters nowadays.

The "alt-right" or "radical right" is very popular with the youngsters nowadays.

(sigh) in my day it was the "Sure, I openly campaigned for Bush, but I now consider myself a Libertarian" crowd during W's second term... So much less vitriol.

(sigh) in my day it was the "Sure, I openly campaigned for Bush, but I now consider myself a Libertarian" crowd during W's second term... So much less vitriol.
Geez, you had it easy. Now they rant about "white genocide" and foam at the mouth while they bitterly condemn the treasonous nature of "the modern *****."
:bang:
Personally, I think it's the oldest story in the book. Butthurt tweens who are frustrated that they can't get laid.