So how do you think I'll do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willowcj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, both my overall and science gpa is at a 3.20. I know, not that great. I just finished my first semester of junior year. I haven't gotten my grades back yet but I'm think in it'll give it a good boost up. Not really part of clubs because they're not my thing, but I am part of other stuff. I have volunteered at hospitals during the summer for the past three years, I was part of a hospital internship last summer, I've been a ta for 3 science courses, and I'm part of a research lab for two years. Is it a problem that its a psych lab and not a straight science one?
I'm taking my MCATs during my spring semester, and really working for a high score since my gpa sucks. I'm usually a a good test taker in terms of standardized exams.

Let me know what you think. I really need some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, both my overall and science gpa is at a 3.20. I know, not that great. I just finished my first semester of junior year. I haven't gotten my grades back yet but I'm think in it'll give it a good boost up. Not really part of clubs because they're not my thing, but I am part of other stuff. I have volunteered at hospitals during the summer for the past three years, I was part of a hospital internship last summer, I've been a ta for 3 science courses, and I'm part of a research lab for two years. Is it a problem that its a psych lab and not a straight science one?
I'm taking my MCATs during my spring semester, and really working for a high score since my gpa sucks. I'm usually a a good test taker in terms of standardized exams.

Let me know what you think. I really need some advice.

Study super hard for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your GPA is 3.2 after the first four semesters, and you get straight As this semester, your GPA might get up to 3.36. If you pull straight As next semester, it could be 3.47 at the traditional application time. This is still not very competitive for MD medical school admission (mean GPA of acceptees=3.65), but if you got an MCAT of 33+, you might be OK. On the other hand, with another full year of 4.0 GPA and applying after graduation, your composite GPA would be up to a fairly reasonable 3.6, and you'd only need an MCAT of 31 to be competitive.

You could also consider applying to DO (osteopathic medical schools which are less competitive.

Your extracurriculars look very good. You have a good amount of clinical experience over a long period of time, you shown altruism, leadership, and an above average research experience (and yes, it's fine that it's in a psych lab).

If your GPA is 3.2 after the first four semesters, and you get straight As this semester, your GPA might get up to 3.36. If you pull straight As next semester, it could be 3.47 at the traditional application time. This is still not very competitive for MD medical school admission (mean GPA of acceptees=3.65), but if you got an MCAT of 33+, you might be OK. On the other hand, with another full year of 4.0 GPA and applying after graduation, your composite GPA would be up to a fairly reasonable 3.6, and you'd only need an MCAT of 31 to be competitive.

You could also consider applying to DO (osteopathic medical schools which are less competitive.

Your extracurriculars look very good. You have a good amount of clinical experience over a long period of time, you shown altruism, leadership, and an above average research experience (and yes, it's fine that it's in a psych lab).

Question Mobius. What gpa out of the three(BCPM, non-bcpm, cumulative), in your opinion, matters the most?

It's my observation (backed up by what is usually said here on SDN) that cumulative GPA is most likely to be the barometer which determines whether the rest of your application is looked at (along with MCAT score, which we're not discussing here). Next they'll look at BCPM GPA. There are schools with the reputation of looking "at the whole application" and not using automatic cut offs. I've never seen a definitive list of which ones they are. Many, if not most DO schools fall into that category. So does Rosalind Franklin in Illinois.