So how low can they (our grades) go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have finals week next week and a million things to do and yet I am sitting here doing none of them because I have been blessed by God (I'm not kidding here guys, admittance into medical school is something that I consider to be a true miracle, a direct act of God Himself) with an acceptance letter to my first choice medical school. The question is, can I let my grades falls to all B's with perhaps the exception of maybe one C without having my acceptance letter rescinded? Do grades basically not matter anymore? I know that this has been discussed before, but I am obsessive compulsive and insecure (great qualities to have in a physician, I know) and need the soothing words of my fellow sdners before I resume to my regularly scheduled nap.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, i just got a B-....i hope nobody revokes my acceptance

RonBurgundy said:
Dude, i just got a B-....i hope nobody revokes my acceptance

Me too. You don't think they would, do you? Hmmm. Maybe I should give my school a call Monday to see how much I can slack off.

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
So I have finals week next week and a million things to do and yet I am sitting her doing none of them because I have been blessed by God (I'm not kidding here guys, admittance into medical school is something that I consider to be a true miracle, a direct act of God Himself) with an acceptance letter to my first choice medical school. The question is, can I let my grades falls to all B's with perhaps the exception of one C without having my acceptance letter rescinded? Do grades basically not matter anymore? I know that this has been discussed before, but I am obsessive compulsive and insecure (great qualities to have in a physician, I know) and need the soothing words of my fellow sdners before I resume to my regularly scheduled nap.

Some acceptance letter actually specify that the acceptance assumes and is conditional on you receiving C's or above in all remaining classes. It would be silly to get into totally bad habits right before the real intensity starts, though.

silas2642 said:
So I have finals week next week and a million things to do and yet I am sitting her doing none of them because I have been blessed by God (I'm not kidding here guys, admittance into medical school is something that I consider to be a true miracle, a direct act of God Himself) with an acceptance letter to my first choice medical school. The question is, can I let my grades falls to all B's with perhaps the exception of one C without having my acceptance letter rescinded? Do grades basically not matter anymore? I know that this has been discussed before, but I am obsessive compulsive and insecure (great qualities to have in a physician, I know) and need the soothing words of my fellow sdners before I resume to my regularly scheduled nap.

I'm kind of in the same predicament. Do our grades matter anymore now that we're in? The only reason I can think of to keep doing well is for sholarships. If you're gpa takes a nose dive they may be suspicious. Next semester I am going to do as little work as I can to achieve the grades I want, see how little it takes to get A's. I'm also going to go out and drink, and just screw around as much as I can.

Why ruin your college gpa? Wouldn't you want to graduate cum laude or even summa cum laude, or does that not really matter

Hermit MMood said:
Why ruin your college gpa? Wouldn't you want to graduate cum laude or even summa cum laude, or does that not really matter

It probably only matters to you personally (and your parents at graduation). Once you are in med school no one is going to care much about how you did in college.

silas2642 said:

LOL....

you got Bs and that got you into med school... in fact, your top choice...

so you're asking me if you continue to get Bs for this semester and the next, if that same top choice med school that accepted you in the first place with your B grades, will reject you??

LOL

Hermit MMood said:

Heh. My school doesn't even do those, so I'm not thinking I'm going to stress too hard about it.

theunderdog said:
LOL....

so you're asking me if you continue to get Bs for this semester and the next, if that same top choice med school that accepted you in the first place with your B grades, will reject you??

LOL

Give the OP a break....the OP wanted empathy, not satire.

TheDarkSide said:
Heh. My school doesn't even do those, so I'm not thinking I'm going to stress too hard about it.

I was so sad to hear about John Spencer dying. Leo was my favorite West Wing character :(

theunderdog said:
LOL....

LOL

That's just it... I haven't gotten B's in a really long time. I fooled around my first three semesters doing nothing and pulled off about a 3.3 gpa; since then it's been like a 3.9.

No, I don't think that I really care about graduating magna cum laude or summa cum laude. That's all just Latin to me (pardon the pun).

BTW, I wasn't looking for sympathy, I was just asking a question.

Law2Doc said:
Some acceptance letter actually specify that the acceptance assumes and is conditional on you receiving C's or above in all remaining classes. It would be silly to get into totally bad habits right before the real intensity starts, though.

Too late. My study habits are already non-existent; a potential future problem, I know. I need to start getting in swing of a more academically rigorous curricullum. I don't think this is how you are supposed to spell curriculum, but that doesn't look right either. Curicullum. Nope, that's not right either.

Anyway, the thing of it is is that I don't learn anything in school. My learning style is such that I am far better off discussing the material in a small group setting after I have independently reviewed it by reading the text. However, you may have noticed that most college lectures are not set up this way. Most of my lectures consist of the professor putting up an extremely boring powerpoint presentation which he later posts on the web. I normally wake up in a small pool of drool fifty minutes later.

The other thing is that most of the classes I am taking, especially next semester, have absolutely no relevance whatsoever to medicine. I don't think that knowing the mating patterns of the wild chickadees is really going to help me in medical school or in any clinical setting.

I'm rambling, sorry. I don't even remember what my point was.

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
BTW, I wasn't looking for sympathy, I was just asking a question.

I didn't mention anything about "sympathy" :p

silas2642 said:
Anyway, the thing of it is is that I don't learn anything in school. My learning style is such that I am far better off discussing the material in a small group setting after I have independently reviewed it by reading the text. However, you may have noticed that most college lectures are not set up this way. Most of my lectures consist of the professor putting up an extremely boring powerpoint presentation which he later posts on the web. I normally wake up in a small pool of drool fifty minutes later.

sounds like you'd do better in a school with a PBL route rather than lecture based. i'm the same way.
-mota

Teerawit said:
Give the OP a break....the OP wanted empathy, not satire.

I know you didn't say sympathy; you did say empathy. I thought they were synonyms.

DaMota said:
sounds like you'd do better in a school with a PBL route rather than lecture based. i'm the same way.
-mota

you're not kidding. i need to be active when i learn otherwise the information goes in one ear and right out the other.

silas2642 said:
I know you didn't say sympathy; you did say empathy. I thought they were synonyms.

Not at all.

Teerawit said:
Not at all.

Okay, so what's the difference, 'cause I've been using these two words interchangeably. Looked both words up, apparently they are related and similar but perhaps not synonyms.

Just out of curiosity, are you anal retentive when it comes to vocabulary? BTW, if you're this good at knowing the difference of related words, then if you get interviewed at Tufts by the Elton John dude then you're going to do very, very well.

Main Entry: em·pa·thy
Pronunciation: 'em-p&-thE
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek empatheia, literally, passion, from empathEs emotional, from em- + pathos feelings, emotion -- more at PATHOS
1 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
2 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

Main Entry: sym·pa·thy
Pronunciation: 'sim-p&-thE
Inflected Form(s): plural -thies
Etymology: Latin sympathia, from Greek sympatheia, from sympathEs having common feelings, sympathetic, from syn- + pathos feelings, emotion, experience -- more at PATHOS
1 a : an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other b : mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it c : unity or harmony in action or effect
2 a : inclination to think or feel alike : emotional or intellectual accord b : feeling of loyalty : tendency to favor or support <republican sympathies>
3 a : the act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another b : the feeling or mental state brought about by such sensitivity <have sympathy for the poor>
4 : the correlation existing between bodies capable of communicating their vibrational energy to one another through some medium
synonym see ATTRACTION, PITY

DaMota said:
-mota
how do people in pbl-based med. schools compare to students in traditional lecture-based med. schools? Do they tend to be better docs/score higher on the boards/relate more to the patient?

Hermit MMood said:
how do people in pbl-based med. schools compare to students in traditional lecture-based med. schools? Do they tend to be better docs/score higher on the boards/relate more to the patient?

i'm not sure there really is a correlation. i think its just a matter of preference but in the end you end up learning the same material just in a different way. if you're good at taking what you learn in lecture and applying it then you'd get just as much out of lecture based learning than PBL. i'd be interested to know if there is any correlation with board scores etc. i highly doubt it though.
-mota

I just had the worst quarter of my life!! Already accepted though to a school I'm so psyched to go to...But with going on 7 interviews, having that early acceptance and zero motivation I did badddd....Like 2 Cs here people...I would love some reassurance that it honest to God does not matter even though I know in my head it's fine and I've earned the chance to slack off ;)

crys20 said:
I just had the worst quarter of my life!! Already accepted though to a school I'm so psyched to go to...But with going on 7 interviews, having that early acceptance and zero motivation I did badddd....Like 2 Cs here people...I would love some reassurance that it honest to God does not matter even though I know in my head it's fine and I've earned the chance to slack off ;)

im sure it doesnt matter if you pass your classes with C's and above..try to make B's if possible and dont commit any crimes!

Key words are bolded.

silas2642 said:
Main Entry: em·pa·thy
Pronunciation: 'em-p&-thE
Etymology: Greek empatheia, literally, passion, from empathEs emotional, from em- + pathos feelings, emotion -- more at PATHOS
1 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
2 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

Main Entry: sym·pa·thy
Pronunciation: 'sim-p&-thE
Inflected Form(s): plural -thies
Etymology: Latin sympathia, from Greek sympatheia, from sympathEs having common feelings, sympathetic, from syn- + pathos feelings, emotion, experience -- more at PATHOS
1 a : an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other b : mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it c : unity or harmony in action or effect
2 a : inclination to think or feel alike : emotional or intellectual accord b : feeling of loyalty : tendency to favor or support <republican sympathies>
3 a : the act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another b : the feeling or mental state brought about by such sensitivity <have sympathy for the poor>
4 : the correlation existing between bodies capable of communicating their vibrational energy to one another through some medium
synonym see ATTRACTION, PITY

Hermit MMood said:

That's really difficult to pull off when you're holding an acceptance (for which I am really grateful) but really, now that I'm in, I just care about learning the info to prepare for med school rather than get the GPA to graduate w/ honors.

It has been a shift in the attitude from pre-med mentality to thinking about making it through med school.

Moto said:
That's really difficult to pull off when you're holding an acceptance (for which I am really grateful) but really, now that I'm in, I just care about learning the info to prepare for med school rather than get the GPA to graduate w/ honors.

It has been a shift in the attitude from pre-med mentality to thinking about making it through med school.

I know. That's just it; the only thing I've learned this semester is histology, and that will come in useful next year. But the rest of the semester was a complete and total waste of time. Next semester I would like to just kick back in my classes on plants and whatever and spend most of my time studying things that I actually need to know-- anatomy, immunology, histology, etc.