So, How Many Hours a Week do You Study in Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PistonFan531

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, how are you performing?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, how are you performing?

time spent on school work or material outside of class or ippe's ? Probably around 5 per week including projects, write ups and quiz and test studying. Which is actually a step down from undergrad, where i probably spent anywhere from 10-15

I am a p1 ..

Grades ? I think i have some Bs and an A. Only 3 of our 6 classes are graded though

Last edited:
I'd say about 20 hours a week reading over my notes, looking things up for classes, etc.

As for performing, worse than i did in undergrad, but i do have finals coming up, so that might change few things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spend about 25 to 30 hours a week on pharmacy school work and I am making straight A(s). I think its totally worth it to be OVER prepared! :thumbup:

***thats why I am always on SDN b/c all my notes are on my computer and everytime I study I can't help but to stop by SDN! LOL...***

I spend about 25 to 30 hours a week on pharmacy school work and I am making straight A(s). I think its totally worth it to be OVER prepared! :thumbup:

***thats why I am always on SDN b/c all my notes are on my computer and everytime I study I can't help but to stop by SDN! LOL...***

That's why all my notes are on paper. Every so often I have to look something up on the computer and that means I won't go back to studying for at least an hour. The internet is such a huge distraction.

And for the OP, I probably spend 10 to 20 hours a week studying. We are pass/no pass and I pass easily.

That's why all my notes are on paper. Every so often I have to look something up on the computer and that means I won't go back to studying for at least an hour. The internet is such a huge distraction.

And for the OP, I probably spend 10 to 20 hours a week studying. We are pass/no pass and I pass easily.

I also take all my notes in a notebook instead of on the computer

I always studied a day or two before the test, so I can't really say how much time I spent studying every week, but I pulled so many late nights or allnighters that I've lost track.
I find it hard to study unless I absolutely have to because there was so much material to sort through. Whenever I'm under pressure, I can spend less time studying, because I get "in the zone" and sort through and absorb everything quickly without wasting time.

My grades were fine. I passed all of my classes.

The internet is a HUGE distraction!!! but do you actually print all the Powerpoint slides out for every class??? thats a HUGE waste of ink and my ink is very expensive...thats why I am always online and NOT studying...my actual hours of studying is more like 15 hours b/c half the time I am on SDN and facebook! :oops:

I say on average, I study 3 hours a week. 8 hours on test weeks. This is an easy semester though (P1). I have all A's except two classes. One class I don't know where I stand cause participation counts, and I'm not a huge participator, so I can end up getting a B in the class (which will make me super mad). I have a B in our hardest class. I'm going to study my buns off to try and make an A in it though.

The internet is a HUGE distraction!!! but do you actually print all the Powerpoint slides out for every class??? thats a HUGE waste of ink and my ink is very expensive...thats why I am always online and NOT studying...my actual hours of studying is more like 15 hours b/c half the time I am on SDN and facebook! :oops:

You know what's another distraction? Trying to study with a really pretty girl from class :laugh: I tried that one time the night before a biochem test, and I could not concentrate. and she happened to sit at my table when we took the tests online. Even then I could not concentrate. It was a good thing I did my studying before I studied with her, and I had answered all of my questions before I started looking at her so much.

It's also a distraction when I'm sitting in the library studying and some really hot girl shows up and sits close to me. I have to stop myself so much from getting distracted :laugh:

You know what's another distraction? Trying to study with a really pretty girl from class :laugh: I tried that one time the night before a biochem test, and I could not concentrate. and she happened to sit at my table when we took the tests online. Even then I could not concentrate. It was a good thing I did my studying before I studied with her, and I had answered all of my questions before I started looking at her so much.

It's also a distraction when I'm sitting in the library studying and some really hot girl shows up and sits close to me. I have to stop myself so much from getting distracted :laugh:

If thats the case then you should study in your bedroom instead. I usually study in my room and not in the library. I wish the library has free printing though...so I can print out the millions of slides that I have online! LOL...

I do print them out. My school gives us an account with $200 on it for printing out the slides. If we don't use it up, we lose the money so I might as well print them out. I wouldn't do it if I had to use my own ink and paper. That would be too expensive.

I do print them out. My school gives us an account with $200 on it for printing out the slides. If we don't use it up, we lose the money so I might as well print them out. I wouldn't do it if I had to use my own ink and paper. That would be too expensive.

$200 for printing??? NOT FAIR!!! Our school charges 8 cents per page for black and white and 20 cents per page for color! So I am stuck reading powerpoint slides off of my computer! And our tuition is expensive too! 28K to 29K a year! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't study very much. I graduated with a 3.3 or 3.4

I work about 15 hours a week, which usually fluctuates due to the nature of the job. I study no less than 30 hours a week almost every week.

Straight As.....

I work about 15 hours a week, which usually fluctuates due to the nature of the job. I study no less than 30 hours a week almost every week.

Straight As.....

Edit: 12 of those hours are weekend. About three hours each weekday. Probably 27 hours a week would be a better estimate.

Probably ~5-10 hours on test weeks and 0 hours on non-test weeks, although I get distracted ridiculously easily, so the amount of actual productive study time is probably half that. So far so good though.

$200 for printing??? NOT FAIR!!! Our school charges 8 cents per page for black and white and 20 cents per page for color! So I am stuck reading powerpoint slides off of my computer! And our tuition is expensive too! 28K to 29K a year! :rolleyes:

That's one thing I really like about Fisher. We have access to free, unlimited printing. Plus we're given copies of all the lecture slides anyway, so the printing that most students have to do is minimal anyway.

I don't study at all unless there is a test. Even then, I only study a few hours the day before the test. So far, it is easier than my schedule to get a bachelor's degree.

For the current P1s and past P1s, how hard was your first semester? I feel our first semester is super easy, minus one class. I'm just wondering how the curriculum is at other schools. I will probably be studying a lot more next semester when we actually start getting into the heavier stuff.

I spend more than 18 hours a week and I am currently one of the top students of my class. FIrst semester is not too hard, and not too easy. If you want an A, you definitely need to spend lot of time in studying.

For the current P1s and past P1s, how hard was your first semester? I feel our first semester is super easy, minus one class. I'm just wondering how the curriculum is at other schools. I will probably be studying a lot more next semester when we actually start getting into the heavier stuff.

our first semester had the most classes to juggle, which made it harder than it should have been.

I found no semester really hard....just more BS!

That's one thing I really like about Fisher. We have access to free, unlimited printing. Plus we're given copies of all the lecture slides anyway, so the printing that most students have to do is minimal anyway.

GOD, I am so JEALOUS of you!!! I either have to pay to print my slides or I have to go online and read them....and everytime I go online I am on SDN. :rolleyes: Do I have ADHD???? Do I need to take Adderall? I hope not! :laugh:

Okay back to studying this time FOR REAL...I hope! LOL...

Wow. I thought that everyone would be stating that they study 40 hrs a week AT LEAST in pharm school.

So is pharm school not as bad as people make it out to be? Or were most of you well prepared in undergrad?

About 8 hours a day give or take a few. i must fail :thumbdown:confused:

I pass my tests though.

Wow. I thought that everyone would be stating that they study 40 hrs a week AT LEAST in pharm school.

So is pharm school not as bad as people make it out to be? Or were most of you well prepared in undergrad?

Studying 40 hrs a week would be ridiculous in my opinion. I guess if someone was deadset on being at the top of their class I could see it, but it's not really worth it. Most people trade off studying for a social life.

Not all that much during non-peak periods (midterms and exams and such). Mainly just trying to do as much of the supplementary readings as I can. During peak, *maybe* 15 hours a week outside of class. I work ~10 hours on campus per week so it's hard to put in time during those days.

I think the key to avoid having to study like a madman is to stay prepared. All my notes are ready to go once exams roll around, all I do is make summary notes. I don't have time to flip back to the textbook or listen to a recording or anything like that around this time of the year.

In most of my courses I manage the class average or thereabouts, but then again our classes have class averages of like B+/A- across the board and it's not like those courses are gimmies either. So smart class.

As unusual as this may sound, I haven't had much time to "study," like I am accustomed to from undergrad. There has been a lot of busy work: assignments, quizzes, homework, labs, labs, labs, short papers, etc.

Source: P1

I try to study 3 hours a day, much more during exams. We have finals going on now and all I'm doing is studying.

Very jealous of you guys who can study very little and still grab the A. I have poor memory and need to put an effort to absorb everything.

First semester isn't too bad, but definitely a few notches higher than undergrad. And this is suppose to be the "easy" year lol

p1 here

will when school started at least 4 hours a day then test came and more study, and then a break so i stop studying for 1-2 days then need to start studying again so more 4+ hours. But on average i go to library at 6-7 leave at 12 everyday cause thats when it close. and as finals are here easily 10 hour per day and my grades are all high As except one class us health care system... the damn teacher is an anal bi***

Wow, how many hours a night do you sleep? or the 25 to 30 hrs include the time actually sitting in classes?

That's what i thought/think too, i am panicking so much now that i've been accepted and starting in august! I 29 and married have a kid, so im trying to figure out how in the world can someone take 7-8 classes per semester!!!:scared: I mean don't get me wrong, i knew all this when i decided to go into prepharm and apply , but it didn't sink in until i actually got accepted! any other "old farts" out there? lol

That's what i thought/think too, i am panicking so much now that i've been accepted and starting in august! I 29 and married have a kid, so im trying to figure out how in the world can someone take 7-8 classes per semester!!!:scared: I mean don't get me wrong, i knew all this when i decided to go into prepharm and apply , but it didn't sink in until i actually got accepted! any other "old farts" out there? lol

I study about 3 hours a day and if I have an exam I will study more on the weekend. This is b/c I am aiming for perfect grades....you can easily get by studying waaaaaay LESS and make B(s) in your classes (~3.5GPA). IF you just want to go to class and NEVER study, you can still easily put a C average. Its when you are aiming for the best that you have to worry about studying 25 hours a week! So don't worry you will be fine.

Wow, how many hours a night do you sleep? or the 25 to 30 hrs include the time actually sitting in classes?

I wish I really study 30 hours. LOL...I spend more time on SDN and facebook b/c I am a addicted. :oops:

Yup, married with young kids here, and I feel the same way! I also saw what you posted on another thread about loan amounts ... yup, that freaks me out too. Especially since some people are of the opinion that we basically need to work on top of being in school, which would mean never seeing our kids. (And I don't know about you, but providing the best for my kids is the reason I do anything in this life).

Oh well. I'll work summers. Study at nights. Volunteer a few hours a week during the school year. Take a long-term loan.

It'll work out ... right? Lol.

lol im in the same boat! A buddy of mine is getting better grades in pharmacy school than he did in undergrad. What your supposed to be doing in undergrad you should for sure be doing in pharmacy school. Your supposed to read the material before class and then review everything you learned that day after classes. Seems pretty simple right? Hopefully that works out =)

I really don't think that I actually studied that much because I am too easily distracted by the internet. But I made sure to always go to class and try to pay attention, then I would make up study guides and review them the morning before a test. I guess total of less than 12 hours a week of actual study time. I am doing much better than I did in undergrad, I think actually being interested in the material really does help.

I really don't think that I actually studied that much because I am too easily distracted by the internet. But I made sure to always go to class and try to pay attention, then I would make up study guides and review them the morning before a test. I guess total of less than 12 hours a week of actual study time. I am doing much better than I did in undergrad, I think actually being interested in the material really does help.

thanks, that gives us hope, lol. Well i've been doing good in my undergrad while working full time too (except this semester i think i'll get B's in all my three classes which btw are biochem, microbio and bio II) Everyone keeps saying that B's in 3 science classes while working and having a family is not bad but they're not about to go into pharmacy school! I've been getting mostly A's until now, bc of these B's sometimes i freak out and think i won't be able to get good grades when i'm actually in pharm, that's why ask so much about study habits/hrs...aarrgggh, do I sound like i'll be able to make ?:oops:

I try to study 3 hours a day, much more during exams. We have finals going on now and all I'm doing is studying.

Very jealous of you guys who can study very little and still grab the A. I have poor memory and need to put an effort to absorb everything.

First semester isn't too bad, but definitely a few notches higher than undergrad. And this is suppose to be the "easy" year lol

My friends are in P3 and they say that the first year was hard, but the 2nd was the hardest one, and now the 3rd is a bit bit easier than P1 and P2, I wonder about rotations? is that very stressful?...thanks!

Yup, married with young kids here, and I feel the same way! I also saw what you posted on another thread about loan amounts ... yup, that freaks me out too. Especially since some people are of the opinion that we basically need to work on top of being in school, which would mean never seeing our kids. (And I don't know about you, but providing the best for my kids is the reason I do anything in this life).

Oh well. I'll work summers. Study at nights. Volunteer a few hours a week during the school year. Take a long-term loan.

It'll work out ... right? Lol.

Well i'm preparing for it to 4 looong years, some people tell me i'm too predisposed , but i'd rather be pleasantly surprised :p than in for a rude awakening ;) And it's not just us alone, the worst is that our marriage and kids, and our family are going to feel it too, but I am doing this for my kid (s?) too

I wish I really study 30 hours. LOL...I spend more time on SDN and facebook b/c I am a addicted. :oops:

LOL SHC, I just realized that i've posted 4 posts in a row, so i guess you're not the only one, lol, but that's because i'm all freaked out :scared:

Do any of you like to study with music? I prefer listening to classical or flamenco guitar variation mixed with jazz, even some trance or techno. Ill basically listen to anything not obnoxious without lyrics. :thumbup:

Do any of you like to study with music? I prefer listening to classical or flamenco guitar variation mixed with jazz, even some trance or techno. Ill basically listen to anything not obnoxious without lyrics. :thumbup:

Waaa? :eek: lol , i guess you're very intelligent, sometimes i have to read a biochem paragraph 2-3 times to even understand what the hell it's saying and then google up some graphics and videos lol, I cant have any distraction AT ALL when im studying

Waaa? :eek: lol , i guess you're very intelligent, sometimes i have to read a biochem paragraph 2-3 times to even understand what the hell it's saying and then google up some graphics and videos lol, I cant have any distraction AT ALL when im studying

Lol, it doesnt make me intelligent. Its stimulating to me to study with some soothing noise in the background. I feel like I block it out anyways, but it definitely helps me study. Silence is deafening.

LOL SHC, I just realized that i've posted 4 posts in a row, so i guess you're not the only one, lol, but that's because i'm all freaked out :scared:

LOL! Its hard to "calculate" my study time, since techincially right now is my "study time" but I am still on SDN! :laugh:

Don't worry you will be fine!!!

I need complete silence when I am reading and studying etc. The only subject I can listen to music and do at the same time is math. All other subjects require complete silence.

My sister can watch TV and read at the same time. I tell her she is crazy!

Chopin all the way.

I need complete silence when I am reading and studying etc. The only subject I can listen to music and do at the same time is math. All other subjects require complete silence.

My sister can watch TV and read at the same time. I tell her she is crazy!

I don't understand how anyone can study with the tv. Your train of thought is constantly being disrupted. Thats bananas!