So, I finally got published, library has the issue of the journal...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorHappyFeet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When the **** is my name going to be posted on PUBMED?!!!!

I check like everyday and still nothing. Yes, the journal I'm published in isn't a big one (i wouldn't even call it a medium circulation one); but the journal is still listed on pubmed. Does anybody know how the articles are updated, and what time frame to expect, considering the specific issue of the journal is already out in libraries?

Thanks,
HappyFeet.

Members don't see this ad.

what month journal were u published in? january? february?

how many issues/year does the journal publish? is it monthly? bi-monthly?

if it was monthly, did u notice approximately when the very last citations from that journal went online? if u did, figure about a month from that time, until the current journal's citations go up.

and btw - congrats. getting that first medline citation is always a nice feeling.

I check like everyday and still nothing. Yes, the journal I'm published in isn't a big one (i wouldn't even call it a medium circulation one); but the journal is still listed on pubmed. Does anybody know how the articles are updated, and what time frame to expect, considering the specific issue of the journal is already out in libraries?

Thanks,
HappyFeet.

Hond on there pardner. Some journals publish advanced online editions, some do not. If your paper is already in PRINT (not just a proof), it should be on pubMed. Unless your paper is in Ceell in stead of Cell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any difference between pubmed and medline?

what month journal were u published in? january? february?

how many issues/year does the journal publish? is it monthly? bi-monthly?

if it was monthly, did u notice approximately when the very last citations from that journal went online? if u did, figure about a month from that time, until the current journal's citations go up.

and btw - congrats. getting that first medline citation is always a nice feeling.
Yeah, it's not even monthly. And I'm sure a lot of you haven't even heard of this journal. I'd like to say what it is - but it's so obscure it would give away my identity. I guess I have to be patient. I just really expected pubmed to have the citation before it came out in print. :(

i'm not asking u for the journal name, but u can rest assured, i would have no idea who u were even if u did give it to me.

Pubmed is the search engine, Medline is the database. In all but the most technical conversations I use the terms interchangeably these days. The only other search engine I've used to search Medline is Entrez, but that was years ago. Citations are added to Pubmed from Medline Tuesday through Saturday, and I've seen librarians use weird tricks to illustrate how material is added to Pubmed from Medline. For example, some science journals cover health and non-health topics (i.e.-Nature) and sometimes they'll index all of Nature and then remove the non-health related topics and you can sometimes catch the non-health topics listed in Pubmed before they're removed (at least this used to be the case circa 2001).

Anyway, all of my publications have been in Pubmed a while before they hit print, and now with ePublication/publish ahead of print stuff it's even longer. I know people used to recommend bringing paper copies of your publications to interviews (for residency) but with Pubmed being able to confirm the info in the CV in about 30 seconds, I've never bothered. If you're going to interviews and your paper still isn't in Pubmed, I'd bring a paper copy just to be safe.

Anyway, congrads!

adcadet,

do u know what indicus medicus (sp?) refers to?

I think it might be an old system where they would publish a book with a listing of all publications on each topic for that year. So you'd look up "aortic aneurysm" in the 1988 copy and see a bunch of references. I think. I could be wrong.

The only thing I can find on it is from here (bold is mine):

I remember him giving us a mock tour of the medical library and saying in typical sardonicism, "Now THIS strange place is called a LIBRARY. Use it some time."

Then he showed us the Indicus Medicus. Sort of a cross reference catalog that would have been useful in the pre-internet days. This was just before the net and Palm Pilots exploded with medical information sites (and before I even had a webpage in fact - I started in my 2nd year of residency). Now the Indicus is practically as dead as the language it's title is in.

haha - for a minute there i was sure u linked the wrong website....

ahh... from our friend Wiki:

Index Medicus (IM) was a comprehensive index of medical journal articles, published between 1879 and 2004. It was initiated by Dr John Shaw Billings, head of the Library of the Office of the Surgeon General, United States Army[1]. Publication began in 1879, and it continued monthly through 1926, with a hiatus between 1899 and 1902[2]. In 1927 it was amalgamated with the American Medical Association's Quarterly Cumulative Index to Current Literature (QCICL) as the Quarterly Cumulative Index Medicus (QCIM). The AMA continued to publish it until 1959; from 1960 it was published by the National Library of Medicine under the name Index Medicus®/Cumulated Index Medicus (IM/CIM). The last issue of Index Medicus was published in December 2004 (Volume 45). Its place has been taken by the MEDLINE/PubMed database.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_medicus

so bingo - ur right.

Yeah, it's not even monthly. And I'm sure a lot of you haven't even heard of this journal. I'd like to say what it is - but it's so obscure it would give away my identity. I guess I have to be patient. I just really expected pubmed to have the citation before it came out in print. :(

If its a relatively new journal, it may not have registered onto pubmed as well. My publication in one such journal took a while to be registered (first issue). Where as my pub for Am J Clin Path showed up on pubmed a month after it was accepted as a PDF version (2 weeks before it was in print).

Is the journal normally published on pubmed? Thats a key point since if none of hte articles are on there, then you might be waiting for a while. If the journal is no pubmed then i guess just be patient as you said.

does anyone know how far back the online "Pubmed" indexes its stuff? well - that's not really my question.

i type in some fully-tenured profs, and some emeritus profs, and i get like 10 hits. what gives? i realize some of their work occurred in the 1980s and early 1990s, but i also know they index stuff that old.

these profs should have citations numbering in at least the 50s, 60s, and i know they do. so what gives?

does anyone know how far back the online "Pubmed" indexes its stuff? well - that's not really my question.

i type in some fully-tenured profs, and some emeritus profs, and i get like 10 hits. what gives? i realize some of their work occurred in the 1980s and early 1990s, but i also know they index stuff that old.

these profs should have citations numbering in at least the 50s, 60s, and i know they do. so what gives?

Again not all journals are registered with pubmed. Not all journals submit an abstract either. Critical Care Medicine asks authors to submit an abstract which is then formatted into what would be viewed on pubmed.

My PI has 212 (last I checked) publications beginning in the 1970's, however only 67 show up on pubmed. Other publications may include textbooks, which are NOT on pubmed for obvious reasons. Ultimately it is up to the publisher to tell PubMed/Medline register something:

Publisher-Supplied Citations
Citations received electronically from publishers appear in PubMed with the tag [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]. New publisher supplied citations are available in PubMed Tuesday through Saturday. Most of these progress to "in-process" status and later to "indexed for MEDLINE" status. However, not all citations will be indexed for MEDLINE and therefore will retain either the tag [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] or [PubMed]. Publishers may submit citations for articles that appear on the Web in advance of the journal issue's release. These ahead-of-print citations also display the tag [Epub ahead of print]. For additional information, please see the NLM Fact Sheet: What's the Difference Between MEDLINE and PubMed?

PubMed provides access to bibliographic information that includes MEDLINE, OLDMEDLINE, as well as:

The out-of-scope citations (e.g., articles on plate tectonics or astrophysics) from certain MEDLINE journals, primarily general science and chemistry journals, for which the life sciences articles are indexed for MEDLINE.
Citations that precede the date that a journal was selected for MEDLINE indexing.
Some additional life science journals that submit full text to PubMedCentral and receive a qualitative review by NLM.
MEDLINE
MEDLINE is the NLM's premier bibliographic database covering the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and the preclinical sciences. MEDLINE contains bibliographic citations and author abstracts from more than 5,000 biomedical journals published in the United States and 80 other countries. The database contains over 15 million citations dating back to the mid-1950's. Coverage is worldwide, but most records are from English-language sources or have English abstracts. See also the MEDLINE/PubMed Resources Guide.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/overview.html#Database Coverage

Thanks,
HappyFeet.

so is it online yet?